please help!

I have a 15month old DD. Ever sence she got her shots on the 22nd of this month she pitches the worst fits i have ever seen in a child this age. She does it every day after her nap for about 30 min non stop. It is just constant high pitched screaming and i dont know what to do. If i pick her up and hold her or try and play she screams more and kicks and throws her hands arround. I cant figuer out what she wants/needs. After it is over with she is back to normal like nothing ever happened. It ocasionally hapens out of the blue, but for the most part just after her nap. She has NEVER done this before. She had small fits where she would sit and fus for just a second, but nothing even close to this. I just dont know what to do. Please help!

mommy2alissa

Asked by mommy2alissa at 4:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hmm. i don't know what to tell you...not something the shots would do though. maybe it's just something at that age. my son screams all the time. it's not like a fit or anything, he just likes to scream.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son has always been that way ever since he was like 1 he would throw the craziest fits just after his nap, and like you said it was about 30 minutes and then he acted like a prince. Sometimes he will still do it, he's 2 now. I think he's just grumpy when he wakes up and that's how he deals with it. She'll probably grow out of it, when he does it I just tell him I'm not playing with him until he is nice. Try laying on your bed in a dark room and see if it helps her to wake up more.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I think it's the age too...toddlers are crazy like that. Sometimes my son takes a nap, sometimes he just doesn't want it, that's how it goes.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Just gotta be the age. Does she eat before naps? She might be really hungry when she wakes up. Or if a rash, she potties in her sleep then it hurts when she wakes up. Aside from that, just typical toddler behavior.
    Anonymous

• I doubt it's the shots. It's just the start of the terrible twos.
    Ignore her. Don't try to talk her out of it or distract her. She can't hear you and just needs to work through her feelings.
    Pick a "time out" spot in your home that you will use for time-outs from now on. Take her there and leave her.
    Stay close so you can make sure she stays put and to make sure she is safe. But do NOT talk to her and try not to look at her. Pretend to read a book or write a shopping list.
    Once she is calm, pick her up, give her a hug, tell her that you know she was upset/angry/whatever and that you are glad she calmed down. Ask her to help you find something fun to play with now.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• my daughter is 13 months old, and she does it for no reason out of the blue every now and then. if this is how she acts now, im so worried about when she is actually 2 years old. lol i hate it when she does it in public though. it drives me crazy and we end up going home earlier than expected.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 8:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Do you wake her from her nap or let her wake on her own? Maybe she is still tired? I noticed if I wake my son he has a crabby time for a while but if I let him wake on his own, he is in a really good mood.
    Mdonarlz

Answer by Mdonarlz at 12:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My 3 yeaqr old would do this and that started to happen around when he turned 2. It's the age and some kids just get grumpy when they first wake up from a nap. The best thing to do is try to give her some after nap hugs and if she doesn't want the hugs let her be and when she is awake fully she will be normal and playing. I agree its not the shots.

Also right after she wakes up try putting on one of her favorite video, get her a snack and something to drink and she'll wake up. I learned a routine with my Nic...LOL
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 3:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2008