Post delivery

How can you tell when you start your period again after pregnancy? I know it's normal to bleed when you've had an episiotomy and just the regular post delivery bleeding, but it hasn't stopped. I thought maybe I was still bleeding from the episiotomy and the healing process, and just started my period before that bleeding stopped. I have no idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Health

• normally around 5 or 6 weeks postpartum you will get your "first" period if you are not breastfeeding. if you are breastfeeding you wont see more then maybe a few light spots.
    lilbabie85

Answer by lilbabie85 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• You bleed for 6 - 8 weeks post delivery. Well, it lightens up toward the end, in volume and color. I didn't have a period for awhile though, because i breastfed, not till about 8 months or so when I started to breastfeed less, I guess when the babies were not just eating breastmilk but also eating cereal and baby food. Hope that helps. I'd think you could tell it was a period because it would be red again (sorry tmi), not lightening to pink/pinkish yellow (lochia).
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2008