question about stripped membrane

im almost 37 weeks and already dilating and really soft, can i ask my doctor to strip my menbranes to speed up the process? am i allowed to do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doctor stripped mines at 38 weeks i went in labor the next day (she asked me was i ready)
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 6:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Why do you want to force baby out early? their little brains are not done developing yet.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You can ask anything you would like. All they can say is no. Having said that, there is positivvely no proof that stripping membranes has any effect on hastening labor. Because the Dr. or midwife is placing a gloved finger through the cervix and sweeping the attachments from the amnitic sack there is the potential for infection. It isn't a chance I would personally take. The only way it is going to work is if your body is ready to go into labor anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You can ask, but he probably won't unless you have a medical reason to do so. I know it's soooo hard at the end :(
    nicoleanne

Answer by nicoleanne at 7:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Well I had a medical reason we waited as long as we could was on bed rest for 7 months
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 7:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You can ask, but they may or may not do it that early. And jsut be aware that it might not work. It will only make things progress if your body/baby are ready, and if it doesn't work, you will have gone through all that discomfort for nothing.
    hstansbury17

Answer by hstansbury17 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010