How likely is it that my insurance rate will go up?

Coming out of the grocery store parking lot, an old lady was not watching where she was going and was speeding. She zoomed by and my husband clipped the wheel housing on the back of her car. It left what is essentially a scuff mark. It's ridiculous, but it's a brand new car and she wants the wheel housing replaced. She insisted on getting our insurance information. We have full coverage, and this is a ridiculous reason to call insurance, seriously. I could buff it out of the plastic witha dremel hand too, I'm not kidding.

So once she makes this report, how likely is it that my insurance rate will skyrocket?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• first I am going to tell you that it is your husbands fault....He was the one that backed into her. It dosnt matter that she was speeding. I know it sucks. The insurance company will look and the dammage and if it is a small thing like you say then it will not effect your insurance that much. It gets bad if the cops had to be called for it. But since it was so small I doubt that your insurance will go up much if at all. But talk to your insurance company and talk to them about what happened. They will be able to tell you everything that you will need to know.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Your insurance will assess the damage and require her to get an estimate at one of THEIR approved repair shops that may say that it doesn't need replacing. Just see what happens.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Sounds like it's her fault, shouldn't her insurance go up?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Tell your insurance that she was speeding, and you don't feel that you guys were at fault. It may help. I didn't have to pay for damage to another vehicle that was parked illegally in a parking lot, even though I was the one who hit him, because I told them I didn't feel that I was at fault, and they agreed, and apparently so did his insurance. It never affected my insurance.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would speak to your insurance before all this goes down. You can get a better idea. (:
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would definitely try to make a case for her being the guilty party... If your insurance company decides you were the guilty party, then yes, most likely your rates would go up, unless you have something like Allstate's "accident forgiveness" policy....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Depends on your insurance company, your plan coverage, how long you've been with your insurance company, and if you have a good rapport with your insurance agent.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Was there a police report filed? Whoever the police report says is at fault will have to pay the higher premium.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010