How do you make Hamburger Helper better?

I add red wine sometimes, or some shredded cheese. Anyone want to share how they make it better?

My husband hates Hamburger Helper though, he said he had it too much when he was a kid. I never had it till I moved out though and thought it was genius!!! haha! Anyone remember when you had to make the separate topping part in another bowl, now you just pretty much add it all at the beginning!!

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 4:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Food & Drink

• The ones with separate toppings were better! I usually only make the stroganoff one and I add dollops of sour cream as a topping. It makes it much better.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I add some minced onions and some garlic to the hamburger when I'm browning it. I'm a garlic lover so I'm convinced that garlic makes everything better!!!
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Oooh both are great answers! Garlic yay! And I love sour cream too!! Kaycee, I totally agree, the separate topping ones were better!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yep, I too agree about the separate toppings being the best. I add beef stock or chicken stock instead of water. It makes it taste like it has been simmering all day; DH hates Hamburger Helper so I have to disguise it with onions, salsa, garlic, bell peppers in addition to the stock!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 4:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Oh man I hate hamburger helper as well, no matter what I do to it, I just find it gross. And don't get me started on Tuna helper. :-P
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I put mushrooms onions garlic bell peppers/different kinds,,,different types of cheeses

Answer by louise2 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• OMG.....you ladies are geniouses!!! I never would have thought to add all things. O yes...I hate hamber helper with a passion and my hubby gets it ALL THE TIME. Now, maybe I can enjoy it better...because I'm gonna make it so full of stuff I won't even notice it's hamber helper!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! LOL
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Good call Louise, adding vegetables!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Haha...Tuna Helper...I LOVE TUNA HELPER!!!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• mmmmm me too! Husband hates that too!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2008