Confused over here!

Allrite so im getting married in the church my pastor is marrying us so do we have to get the marriage license and certificate? i dont get it. i know its dumb question but come on im only human!!!

Nikelegacy

Asked by Nikelegacy at 4:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Relationships

• Oh yes, first thing you do is go get the license! You have your witnesses sign it, and I think the church turns it back in to the city. You get the certificate like 2 - 3 weeks later after.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• BTW there's probably someone at the church to counsel you on these matters! They don't perform the ceremony till you have the license in your hand!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• when i first got married the bishop provided that for me but the second time i went and got it. i would go down to the court house together and you have to apply for it there. they have you get two sets that they recommend you get.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• When I got married they asked before hand if I was going to get my marrige certificate with them or somewhere else. They gave me the option. Maybe your pastor can get you married by both so you don't have to make a double step.
    CONGRATS btw!! lol
    Anonymous

• yes. the license is issued by the state. the minister signs the license and sends it to the state and then they send it you
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Not a dumb question. I felt the same way before I got married. First you go get marriage license then after you get married your pastor will fill in the rest on the marriage cert:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 4:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

That's the way it is here in Texas.  We went to the County Clerk's office at the courthouse and applied for the license.  They asked some standard questions (such as if we're related!) and issued the license.  Here, you wait for 3 days, but it's only good for 30.

rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2008