Is it true that if you leave a skittle in water, the S will float to the surface?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 7:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• This is a really cool experiment I saw at a workshop I attended. I gave the children a bowl, a small cup of water, and a small cup of Skittles candy. The children were instructed to pour the water into the bowl (you only need enough water so that it will cover the Skittles.) Then they choose three different colors of Skittles to place in the bowl at the edges and spaced out so they weren’t touching each other (I let them eat the rest). The children observed what happened to the colors (the colors will spread out and eventually blend with other colors and the three S’s float to the top). I recorded their verbal observations on paper and the children recorded their observations by drawing what they saw in the bowl (see example). An important note: this experiment only works well if the bowl sits on a very stable surface, such as a table that does not shake or the floor. Make sure the children understand not to touch or mov
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think the S would dissolve just the same as the rest of the candy, seeing as how it is sugar based too. But if your kids bring home Skittles this weekend, I say try it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Dang it now I want to try it....Although I dont think this is true.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have some skittles. How long is it supposed to take?
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Man and I almost bought some skittles today...now I am curious!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I did it! It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• thats cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonna do that with my dd
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes, it works. You can read more about it here - http://prekinders.com/2008/05/exploring-with-colors-experiment/
    and here - http://www.candyexperiments.com/

The S is made out of a sugar solution that is NOT as water soluble. The rest of the candy is very water-soluble, including the color. So when the candy sits in water, it starts to dissolve. Once enough of the color has dissolved, it will let the S go into the water. The S stays whole in the water, floating around :)
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• sounds probable,go get a pack!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2010