time out?

I do not tolerate tantrums so everytime my son throws a tantrum he has to go sit in the corner, or go to his room for a time out. Then when he is done throwing his tantrum he can come out of time out. I am being to hard on him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nope, that's exactly what you're supposed to do. good job!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I don't think so. I have a 4 year old and he has tantrums too. A time out works for both of us because it gives us both a chance to calm down. What I do is when I put him in time out is tell him the reason he's being given the time out (you threw the toy, you hit the dog, you told me no etc.) and then he sits for 4 minutes. When the time is up I tell him the reason again and then request an apology. This makes him accountable for his actions. Then I give him a hug to let him know I still love it. It seems to be pretty effective.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• you are nicer then i am...my kids get to go to time out and when the tantrum is done then the time will start for the time out...so if they sit there for 20 minutes throwing a fit....after the 20 minutes is up i start the time out ( for my lil kids its short but my older kids get to be on time out as long as the fit lasted) so a 20 minute fit+ 20 minutes after the tantrum of time out...ususally they will catch on and throw a short fit :)
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 4:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I agree with Rysana...The time out starts when they're done with the screaming fit. Once they stop the tantrum, then it's a minute per year in timeout.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• they say your not suppose to put kids in their room for punishment that is their safe place(where they are comfortable) but the corner is good.
    babyrichmond

Answer by babyrichmond at 9:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2008