Would you agree that having a relationship with somebody on the opposite political spectrum would be nearly impossible?

Reading this article (link below) made me think.... I honestly don't think I'd be able to have a relationship with somebody who believed pretty much the exact opposite I do, especially since I'm pretty passionate about my beliefs...

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 7:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Political philosophies, religious views and economics are really fundamental in the basis of our relationship. We have our own views on things...but there are some big issues we have to have solid foundation together or it is awfully hard to build on it. I am constantly stunned at the couple who get married and have never discussed children, or child rearing views, p[olitics, religion, budgeting strategies etc. Those are big deal breaking issues if we can't work together on them.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I used to run a souveneir shop downtown and one time these two ladies were in line saying they couldn't believe that someone else's daughter was marrying a republican....When they got to the counter I said ..Hey if a Kennedy can marry a republican ANYONE can...They started laughing..they didn't know I heard their convo....They were saying it was just suprising to them...lol

James Carville is married to a republican

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• We are dividing politically and religiously. However, we have found ways around it. Neither of us force our opinions on the children, and we have educated conversations, not debates about our beliefs and the foundation of those beliefs. Its isn't always easy, but we make it work.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nah, plenty of my relatives and a few of my friends have different political views. We just don't talk about politics. There are some who disagree with a lot of my views, like my father's "lady friend" and she makes jabs at me on her FB to the point where I blocked her from being able to post on my wall. I don't do that to her so why should she do that to me?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree with you, OP. I think it would be very, very difficult for 2 people with opposing political or religious views who are passionate (that is key!) to be together peaceably. My mother is very, er, zealous in her political and spiritual views and it's difficult enough for me to just be around her at times; I can't imagine being married to someone like that.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I couldn't do it myself.... I get enough warped twisted right wing BS from my mil and bil. At least the rest of the family is sane.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nope, we are very happy and joke all the time about canceling out each others votes. :) I am a moderate with liberal leanings, he is a moderate with conservative leanings. He voted McCain, I voted Obama. He voted Nixon, I voted Hulsoff. I will vote for Prop A, he will vote against. It is fun, and it doesn't hurt that he is easy on the eyes. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't agree. Because your personal beliefs aren't the beginning and end of you and should never prevent you from having a friendship/relationship with someone. If you're seperating yourself from a relationship because of a difference in political beliefs then you're missing the entire picture. You find common ground on what you can and just agree to disagree on what you can't. That doesn't have to part you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• No. I am a liberal and DH is so conservative it's almost scary. But we have some lively discussions.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My husband sometimes threatens me that he'll vote opposite me just to piss me off. He actually thought Whitman was the lesser of 2 evils, I steered him right.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010