How responsible are parents for their children's education?

I have a friend that is considering homeschooling her kids because she just now, today, realized her two 5th graders don't really have basic math skills (because they cannot do the traditional long division) and they are teaching partial quotient algorithms for long division, which she doesn't understand. I have no problem with homeschooling at all, if that is what is right for the parents and the children. However, it seems to me that you should be more aware of your childrens' skills and educationally shortcomings before 5th grade and that some of the responsibility in that learning lays with the parents. Regardless of they way your children are taught, do you feel it is your responsibility as a parent to contribute to the schooling process and be involved enough to know where they are lacking and where they are shining?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I completely agree with you
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think a parent should know well before 5th grade that their child is having a hard time with learning something. I think one of the main problems now is they teach things sooner then when we were in school so we would have to continue our education just to understand what they are learning and to be able to help them when they need it. My mom was not even able to help me with my algebra homework because she never had to take that class when she was in school. So I had a hard time with it and had to retake it the next year. She started going to school just so she could try to help me more when I needed it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree, my third grader is learning things that I learned in middle school.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Comment by Mom1Stepmom1 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Absolutely. The childs education will ALWAYS fall back on the parent. My husband and I just had this discussion actually. The actions of your children and the education will always fall back on the parents. Parents should be aware of their childs grades and what they are having trouble with. If your child doesn't know simple math skills, then pulling them out of school and home schooling them isn't the way to go. If the parent doesn't even know it, how are they expected to keep up with a school level? Make the child go back, repeat it and learn it. My son was held back a year because he didn't have the skills necessary to advance to the next grade. We didn't just pull him out of school because of it. He was held back, learned what he needed to, and moved on. Parent's should be ACTIVLY involved in their child school work and education.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My children go to a great school. The school has a very great scores, because they encourage parents to be very involved in the learning/ teaching process.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I agree. Learning shouldn't stop when the child leaves the class room. A parent's responsibility is to reinforce what is learned in school and if they feel so inclined, to introduce even more.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Ditto to everyone!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• AtHomeMommy- I agree with you 100% I have no problem with homeschooling but I feel that a lot of parents just dont know what they would be teaching their children. This is why teachers go to school and have a degree! My cousins were homeschooled and then went to college and they have failed their first 4 classes because they had no idea what they were talking about in class. And the class they were taking I learnt in high school. And it always falls back on the parents just like everything else does...such as is they are rude or get arrested...the first thing people say is didnt you teach your kids manners or that that is wrong. Educations is the same way.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• She thinks they should just teach the traditional methods that we used in school years ago. However, I am off the opinion that any method that makes a generally difficult subject like math easier for the students, is progress. So she wants to pull them out so they can learn outdated methods that nobody uses anymore. My advice was to teach them both methods, allow the school to teach their since she didn't understand it, and then to teach them her method and have them use whichever one works best for them. Everyone learns differently, right? Let them decide what they are more comfortable with, so they are armed with the knowledge they need to succeed.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Comment by Mom1Stepmom1 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Without a doubt a parent should be involved in every apsect of their child's education. Learning starts at home, continues in school, and ends again at home. The parent of all people should know what they're child is excelling at and failing at. That way they can be the first to assist their child in it at home and then send them to school with a better understanding. Every parent should know how they manage in school, how they get along with the teachers and students, etc. No parent should be ignorant about their child's education at all. And more importantly, no parent should souly rely on the school to educate and guide their child in their education. Again, it starts at home and should end at home.

My children are two and one and I already see they excell at retaining information and repeating it back. Which is a great start to them learning. It's not hard to figure out what a child falls at. Every parent should know.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010