Updated Barbie Question. Wanting to know if it would be okay with you, as parents if

your daughter wanted to be like Barbie. I'm not sure how to word it, so work with me here... Is it okay to steer your children into a role. For instance, Barbies are for girls and GI Joes are for boys. Or do you think that it's totally okay for a girl to only want to play with boy things, or vice versa.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 7:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sounds to me like those are two seperate questions .. So with that understanding I'll answer both. I don't believe in gender seperation actually. I believe that any child should be able to play with or dress in a manner that they feel comfortable in. Yes, even if that means my boy wearing a pink shirt and my daughter wearing boxers. I want to instill individuality and independence in my children, and to me that means breaking down the gender seperation walls to encourage freedom of choice.

As for my daughter wanting to be like Barbie. I would encourage her to want to be herself, but I can understand wanting to have the ideals of what Barbie has. That means encouraging them to work hard and dream big, so that they can achieve that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Our belief is that children should play with a variety of toys, to encourage imagination and learning.
    There should be no 'girl' and 'boy' toys.

After all, in real life, girls/women do most anything boys/men do, and vice versa.
    The stigma needs to end, IMO.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 7:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think a child should be encouraged to play with whay ever makes them happy. As far as trying to Look like barbie, I would not push that. My daughter loves to play with her brother's toys and vise versa.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I dont see a problem with a girl playing with "boy toys" or vice versa. And I would be ok if my DD wanted to be like Barbie. Barbie is independant, hard worker, and polite. I dont see a problem with that. And if my son said he wanted to be just like GI Joe then im ok with that as well. Once again there is independant and hard worker and a soldier. Once again I dont see a problem with any of that. Pluss they grow up and find something else that they want to be like when they grow up.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• just let them be who they feel like being they are only kids.
    Some girls are tomboys but once they get to that age liking boys that is when they make the change in their timing GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have a son and a daughter. My little girl is only 7 months old, but she already loves playing with her brother's cars. Lol. I don't care what gender the toys are aimed for...all that matters is if they like them. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• LOL...I had Barbies and G.I Joes and strollers and Hot Wheels. My son had a baby doll. We don't follow gender rules in toys.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You can steer away with kids and they will play with whatever pleases them, of their choosing not yours. I don't believe in gender role playing, you can't force a child to play with what you want them to play with. My daughter and her sister are perfect examples, my middle daughter wanted to play with dolls and play kitchens at the age of 3, my eldest favorite toy were GI joes. It was always ok with me as a parent for them to play with whatever toy they chose.

Answer by older at 7:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son, who will be 9 next month, still has a plethora of stuffed animals that he plays with. He has told me that his friends think its girly, but he likes them. He doesn't really play with them so much anymore, as he does just kind of arrange them in the net thing. And my daughter loves driving trucks up the walls and will make little obstacle courses with legos and stuff for them to drive over and through. I don't really subscribe to gender roles in general. As far as actually being like Barbie, I would like the idea that Barbie has a million different 'egos' so it says that she can be whatever she wants. I wouldn't like the whole physically aspect of the idea, but otherwise, I see no problem.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My kids have always played with the things they want to play with. My son and daughter are 18 months apart so they have played together all their lives. My daughter has played Star Wars and cars with her brother, he has played Littlest Pet Shop and Barbies with her. No big deal.
    It depends on what ways she wants to be like Barbie. Does she want to be a dr like Barbie, or a veterinarian like Barbie, or a soccer coach like Barbie? All of those would be great!

Answer by missanc at 8:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010