I'm watching a documentary on the Amish...

It is just amazing! Such a wonderful community! I would love to live that way for a while and take on some more of these wonderful values. I wish I could be more like them... Simplicity, family, peace, humbleness and so Godly. What do you think of this lifestlye?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If this is How you want to live, then that is the way to go
    no matter how we choose to live-- in the city, or the country, in an earthship, or a tepee
    Our lives should focus on what the Bible teaches and strive to live it But if you dont want to live by the Bible- then live as well as you can and follow your values as best as you can.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD--Joshua 24:15
    mocha76

Answer by mocha76 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It is impressive, the compassion and care they have for one another, and the forgiveness they can show.
    But, as the old saying goes, "It might be nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there".

LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 8:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I grew up on the edge of an Amish community. As LadyCash said, there is a lot that's wonderful, but I"m not sure I'd want the actual life. They are so isolated from our world, which can be good, but can also be very difficult. We've romanticized their life so much. I think if you were born into it, it might work, but it would be hard for those of us used to the larger world.

Keep in mind, that where there is very good, there can also be very bad.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It does sound wonderful.. but I have heard plenty of bad from other documentries..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think its a beautiful, devoted kind of life, but I couldn't do it, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I've personally never seen anything desirable about that kind of life. They work their entire lives, snub the outside world, and even deny their own children if they don't choose to live the lives they have laid out for them... I don't understand how simple and hard equals better... I can't imagine wanting to give up my freedom so I can work 4 times as hard and cut myself off from reality...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• @sabrina, I must say I normally totally agree with every thing you say. I think that is kind of a half empty way of looking at it. I don't see it as 'snubbing' the outside world. In fact they interact with it often. They still see doctor and use hospitals they are starting to accept small amounts of technology. They aren't trying to 'work harder' for the sake of working harder they are trying to preserve a certain standard of values. Hard work and self reliance are fulfilling. they do not disown or turn their backs on their children if they choose to peruse a path in the outside world but they do encourage them to be loyal to their heritage. It is more of a culture than a religion.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'm guessing whichever one you're watching, it's not The Devil's Playground.  The community is not all sweetness and light.  The degree to which kids are shunned if they decide not to come back varies by community.  The ones around here aren't as extreme as some of the ones in PA.  Here they might still let you come home to visit once in a while or acknowledge you if they pass you on the street.  Out there, the more strict ones literally treat you as dead.  If they see you, they look right through you.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I dated an Amish man while he is on his "rumspring". It is the time where they can leave the community and decided if they want to go back in for good or stay out for good. Based on his experiences and comments, it didn't sound like a pleasent community to live in, too many rules and restrictions. But I guess all have a different opinion on it.
    proadoption

Answer by proadoption at 10:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010