baby on methadone

was anyone else prescribed pain killers while pregnant and now have a baby on methadone. Please I just need to know I'm not alone or a horrible person. She's gained so much weight sense she was born and has had to go up on the methadone when I thought they were going to ween her off. I fell like a horrible person. She shouldn't have to go through this because of me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i didnt know methadone was from taking pain killers i thought it was from heroine or meth or something like that. You learn something new everyday sorry not much advice but good luck
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Megan it is for pain killers because some of them are opiods(sp) And dont worry You had to do what you had to do. Just hang in there everything will work out. Just stick with it!

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• For those that don't know - Methadone is used to help infants born to mothers that were abusing opiates such as oxycotin in addition to heroin.

Talk to her doctor about how they will be weaning your child off the methadone.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• yes but its also used for mother's who aren't abusing just prescribed it. there addictive and people become dependent on them.
    kaylaylshfr

Answer by kaylaylshfr at 8:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Methadone is also used as a chronic pain management drug. It is given to fragile pediatric and adults all the time. It is maligned as a 'dopers drug" It simply is not true. My BIL broke his back 6 years ago. He was in chronic uncontrolled pain until my sister MADE him go to a pain managment clinic. He now takes 1.6th of the medication he used to and can function as a human being. OP, I don't know why you had to take pain meds and it doesn't matter for this discussion. If it is a matter that she was born addicted it is def. time to start talking about weaning her off in very small increments.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• well, my cousin was a heroin addict and when she got pregnant went to methadone treatment.The baby wasnt allowed to leave the hosptal until it was off of methadone and down to morphie, ad at 6 weeks he is comletely drug free. I am surprised at howyour docs handle it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Hi

I do know a good bit about this subject. I am a certified methadone advocate and former RN with a special interest in moms on methadone.

I can tell you that you are most assuredly NOT a horrible person. Whether one is on methadone for opioid addiction or for pain management, methadone is the gold standard of care for pregnant moms who take opiate medications. The baby is not harmed physically or mentally by the medication--it is not a teratogen. However, about 65% of babies born to moms on methadone will require a weaning process after birth due to NAS (neonatal abstinence syndrome). These babies almost always do very well and are kept comfortable during the process. It usually takes a few weeks, and this period of life is soon forgotten when the healthy baby goes home with healthy mom and life goes on. DO not berate yourself. You did the best thing under the circumstances. Baby will be fine.
    zenith15

Answer by zenith15 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010