• In the Spotlight:

Do you give your two year old any "chores"? Do you think they can learn how to be responsible at a young age?

Chores like putting their plate in the sink. Throwing trash in the trash can, etc.

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 8:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• why not...they LOVE helping...you just have to let go of getting it done quick..lol..my DS helps putting clothes in washer, dryer and pushes the buttons, puts his dishes in the sink, throws out his garbage and sometimes mine, puts his laundry in the hamper...he loves cleaning...i use simle green cleaner so i let him spray and wipe with it..he LOVES it..sometimes he hels me make the bed...really he's unmaking it but it makes him feel important..lol..just ask themm if he wants to be your big helper and they are all over it!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Cleaning up their own toys, mainly. I also had them carry some plastic dishes to the table, and to help with setting the table.

Answer by Bmat at 8:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Not chores persay. But help clean up stuff in the house.

Answer by louise2 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• yes even at 18 month my children were taking their cup to the sink and their own diapers to the trash can as well as assisting in picking up their toys.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I believe it is important to implant that at an early age. My son is three and he ¨sweeps¨ and ¨mops¨ he laso puts his own dishes in the sink after he is finished eating. Small things to teach them to contribute to the household chores.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My daughter helps pick up toys and put books away. She also takes diapers and trash to the garbage.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 8:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• DS "helps" with laundry, by handing me an item to fold, and by pushing the button on the dryer. He puts his dishes in the sink on his own now when he's finished eating. We're still working on picking up toys, only because we've been very inconsistent at it. He also puts stuff in the trash can when asked.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My daughter would put her dirty clothes in the basket, dishes in the sink and try to help me fold laundry, I would let her do the wash clothes, now she is 3 and does this stuff on a regular basis out of habit and helps me put do other things...it is more work for me with her helping, but I know it's good for her to do this.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 8:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Oh, yeah, he also loves to sweep and vacuum.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• my daughter puts her diaper in the trash. actually she would put everything in the trash if she could. she also turns off lights when we are leaving the house and picks up toys and i have made her clean up some apples afterherself.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010