Is it possible for an almost 6 month old to have a tantrum!?

As of the past 2 weeks my 6 month old in the evenings is growling, hitting and is almost inconsolable. Please tell me this is just teething!! I hate to think he's already throwing temper tantrums!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't effect all babies specifically in the evenings, but it sure as heck did with my ds lol. He would cut teeth overnight...literally. He'd go to bed one night and there'd be no tooth. The next morning (or in the middle of the night, if he woke up), a tooth would be there.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 10:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It's not likely a temper tantrum at that age. There is something bothering your little-one - either he is over tired, hungry, teething, gassy, or otherwise uncomfortable. A temper tantrum is the result of a child not getting his way and expecting to get it by crying and active out. Your six month old barely has the grasp of cause and effect at this point, so can't possibly expect that his crying will get you to respond in a way that is pleasing to him. He is crying because he is uncomfortable and he doesn't like it.

I'd try freezing the paci and giving it cold so that it can soothe teething, giving a snack at that time, or sticking to an afternoon nap.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Depends on what is happening when she is acting that way.

Answer by louise2 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• sounds like teething. is he pulling his ears,drooling a lot,sticking fingers in his mouth,and biting? if so he's probably just teething. it's painful for babies. my son does stuff like this when he's teething.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• ok thanks! Its werid because he doesn't cry but he growls and grunts! He really likes sucking on a cold washcloth so I will keep doing it. I think its gotta be teething because we've tried everything else. Maybe Tylenol? Does teething affect babies more in the evenings than any other time?
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• gas or teething or something else. Not a tantrum. Not at that age!
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 8:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Teething, over tired, or just needing your evening attention when you're otherwise occupied. I don't think a baby that little will throw a tantrum.
    MamaOfB

Answer by MamaOfB at 1:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Teething, overtired, but it is not a temper tantrum
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 5:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think its definitely a combo of both! :) Thanks...nursing him to sleep is helping immensly :)
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2010