• In the Spotlight:

what can i give my 1 month old for a head cold?

My daughter is only 1month old and she got sick with a head cold. It's hard when I am also sick. She can't breathe through her nose and she has been coughing and sneezing for the last 24hrs. what can i do or give her?

BlueyedRnystorm

Asked by BlueyedRnystorm at 4:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tylenol is all you can give her as far as medicine. also use saline drops such as little noses. and use your bulb syringe to suck out all her mucous from her nose. a humidifier will also help with the congestion.
    lilbabie85

Answer by lilbabie85 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• There are no medications that are recommended for a baby so young. If she has a fever of more than 100.3 you can try giving her tylenol and of course you'll need to call her doc. You can use saline drops or nasal spray (for babies - Lil Noses is good) to help clean her nose out. Use a humidifier in her room and try having her sleep in her carseat or swing as much as possible so she's propped up.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• The sucky bulb you get at the hospital is your best friend in this case. Use it often. Another thing that is good to do when she is sleeping is put a pillow or blanket under her mattress (do this to avoid sufficating) if she is sleeping elevated she is less likely to cough or gag on the crap that is draining. Oh and tylonal, look up the dosage since it's not on the bottle for that age, you wanna make sure you give her the correct dose.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 5:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• NO you cant give her tylenol or mortin or anyt other med.
    me daughter was born at the end of dec last yr and had a col at the end of jan. it got so bad i took her to the hospital and they said the only thing i could do for her was use saline drops in her nose and the bulb to suck it out, steam room, and use a diff. bulb to get mucus out of her throat. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO GIVE A BABY MED UNTIL THEY ARE 3-4M OLD!!
    Anonymous

• My doc told me to put Vick's on my chest and let my DS breathe it in while he nursed. It really helped his congestion, as did a humidifier. However, I made certain to use the Children's Vick's because I thought that it wouldn't be as overpowering for him. I hope you both feel better soon!
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Willaim was given tylenol at the Dr office for his 2 month shots! Check for doseing as it's based on weight. I put vicks on his FEET than socks, than bed and it works wonders! Also put them in the bathroom when you shower, the steam helps ALOT. YOU can also put vicks on your feet and it helps, do it at bedtime with socks
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2008