How do I teach my children to have unconditional love for each other.

I want them to be close always. I know I need to teach them but I never had a sibling. DH is very close with his brothers but he doesn't think he was ever taught to be so. My children argue so and I know they will some always but I want there to ultimately be love. They are of the same flesh and blood and I want them to cherish that fact as well as each other.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• They already do. They just do not know it yet.

Answer by louise2 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't know how you teach it. You show it. We always talk with our kids about how family comes first and we love each other and will always be there for each other. Oh, and siblings bickering is completely normal.:)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Children learn by example, if they see unconditional love among family members, they will forever remember this and continue the legacy. Emphasize the importance of blood and family and the rest will come natural. All siblings argue, I would worry if they didn't it is totally normal, but they always make up don't they? Mine did and grew up tight, now as adults they are fiends and there for each other at every turn.

Answer by older at 8:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• just let them enjoy being together and yes they will fight sometimes but thats what siblings do, just treat them to respect eachother
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i do not think you can teach that type of stuff....my brother and I are incredibly close yet my DH and his brother see eachother 2-3x/year and they live close by...the ironic thing is his parenrs are always trying to get them to be best buds to this day...i think it is learned through the relationship examples you set...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Out of my 5 siblings I have two I talk with daily one monthly and the other two I talk with when there is an important event (evey few years maybe?). All of us have at least one sibling we are close to and one we just don't talk to.
    I don't think it is something you can force. You can make them understand the importance of being there when it counts though.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 8:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I dont think you can teach unconditional love, I think it is learned and grows over time.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• All you can do is to love them and let them learn from you. My 3 kids are now all adults and they are very close and have alot of love for each other. It wasn't always that way. Through the years, hardships, growing and with our love they are now super close, protective and supportive of each other. It's not something you can teach it is something that is developed through time. Hugs..
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't think you can teach unconditional love, you can show them love by your actions, show them the importance of family, teach them how to show respect, but to attempt to make them to love each other is not something you can do.
    Children will fight from time to time, I fought with my sister all the time and we were super close after I left home. These days not so much but there are a lot of circumstances that changed that. My brother and I fought too, even became physical a time or two but we talk quite a bit.
    My two boys use to fight regularly, one always picking on the other...but when it came down to it they were always there for each other, looking out for each other. They are 16 and 12, they get along incredibly well these days. Continue to show love and respect and appreciation for family and your children will do the same.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• By example.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:05 AM on Oct. 29, 2010