your baby can read?

Has anyone used it? Does it actually work?

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My niece is a teacher. She says it doen't work.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'll believe it when ever baby comes home with one from the hospital.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• YES IT WORKS!!
    I have used in with both my children (now ages 3 and 6) it works WONDERS!!
    My youngest is a little 'special' and she can not only read, but she can SPELL!

My oldest daughter is far more advanced than anyone in her class.
    Feel free to email me and I'll tell you all about it!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It doesn't work. Trust me. I've been using it for over a year with my daughter, and no offense to her, she is not anymore gifted than the next kid. Also talked to her pedi about it, and he has never seen it work either.

Sure it's okay entertainment for 20 minutes, but it is not worth the cost.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• There is something you have to understand, just because my 6 year old daughter can read Harry Potter (and no we don't let her) it doesn't mean she understands Harry Potter.

She is 6 and she has more of an understanding than most 6 year olds, like she understands the gravitational pull of the sun, but basically her understanding is that of a 6 year old.

The GREAT thing is, when she gets to the age where she can read books like Harry Potter, she will never struggle (like I still do)

My youngest is 3 year old - she has communication issues - but she can spell words that I still have to look up. She can read and she is teaching herself how to write. All thanks to Your Baby Can Read.

Don't expect your child to have a greater understanding of what she/he reads, that only comes with age. But if you want your child to NEVER struggle with reading get Your Baby Can Read!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I believe it may teach sight words. The kids are not 'reading' though. They will start K in the same place as the other kids. Needing to learn phonics but they will have no ultimate goal, reading.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My girls know sight words and phonics.
    I learned phonics as a child and I can hardly read. Phonics alone doesn't work if you can't sight read along with it.

I have know 4 other couples (12 children total) who use this program and all of them have children reading and writing well before they started school.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• How about we just let kids actually be kids instead of constantly trying to push them to grow up so fast.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Works - How about you let the rest of us speak. I think 3-4 posts on the same thing is enough. You're spamming the rest of us out.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It works just as well as anything else involving repetition. You can't just sit your baby down for those videos and think they will be reading. There are word cards and activitiies to do with you kids. But it's just like teaching anything, repetition. Like when teaching colors you do it over and over and over again until they get it and do it every day to review. It's work and consistancy. I can say after a few months my son learned a lot of the motions, Arms Up, Kick, etc from it, but I also did it through out the day showing and reminding him.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010