a 50% c-section rate?

I was just told by a RN that their hospital is preparing for a 50% c-section rate with a new Surgical Suite in the L&D.

What are your thoughts on this??

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 8:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I would certainly avoid that hospital at all costs. ALL COSTS.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I had two. One was an emergency, the other elective because of the first two births. Honestly, why should we care? A woman is entitled to have a baby in the manner she chooses. I support home births, I support no drugs, I support drugs, I support v-bac, I support c-section.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Oh and before someone starts bashing me, I never said that women shouldn't be allowed to give birth in any manner they want to, I just said that I don't understand and that it pisses me off when doctors scare women into C-sections. Deciding to have one after thorough research, whatever, it's their body. It's not for me, but I know some people just prefer surgery to vaginal for various reasons. And there are times when women can not give birth vaginally and really need a c-section (emergencies, too small of a pelvis, etc.). I personally don't understand elective c-sections, but to each their own. I know a lot of people don't understand why I hate doctors and hospitals so much, but that's my decision.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That just seems crazy to me, especially since the WHO states the c-section rate anywhere should be no more than 10%! 50% means that for every 1 necessary c-section performed, they are performing 4 unnecessary ones!
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 8:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That is insane! I understand actual emergency C-sections, and thankfully there are OBs to perform those, but the C-section rate has increased so much over the past decade, it's scary. Women electing for c-sections for no reason other than to get the tummy tuck right after, or because they think a vaginal birth will hurt (duh, it's birth) totally baffles me. I don't understand how some women think that a c-section, SURGERY, will hurt less than a vaginal birth. C-section happy doctors also piss me off. I've known so many women who had unnecessary c-sections (ex: their doctor telling them that because they hadn't dilated more than 5cm in 12 hours, since labor started, they weren't going to dilate more, so they had to have a c-section). This is one of the many reasons my OB disliked me (I refused drugs and anything that was not necessary), and why I will never have another hospital birth unless it's life or death.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• 7lbs 7 oz is the clinical "average" wight for a baby.

Women are fed all kinds of BS about their bodies, rather than learning what they do, and trusting their ability to do so. The mortality rate alone proves how dangerous hospitals are to laboring & birthing women.
    Birth is not a medical condition to be managed, and the c-section rate proves that women are not CHOOSING to have the surgeries... they are being coerced. WHO states that the % of both emergency and elective c-sections should NEVER go past %12.5.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It *can* my babies were face up. an over weight person will have a MUCH harder time vaginally giving birth to a child who is in the 'wrong' position. I pushed for 4 hours with no baby. Not even crowning. I was told if I had been thinner I would have had a much better chance.  The other thing to consider is an over weight woman is ogin to be at higher risk of pre-eclampsia and diabetes bith of which can have complications leading to an emergency c-section.   Link

another link

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I had 3 c-sections. I had ITP with all pregancies. I wasn't devastated that I had to have the surgery. I just wanted healthy children. If that meant that I had to have a c-section, I was fine with that. I am no less a mom with 3 sons by c-section than a v-birth mom is. My sons are now 26, 24, and 15. Obviously, things worked out.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I guess that's one way to make use of their high falutin' surgical suite. Pass the costs on to the patients and their insurance companies.

Seriously, all of my kids were c-sections. My first one was a placenta previa, second was a cord wrapped around her neck, and my son was scheduled because the naval hospital would not VBAC me after two complicated pregnancies.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I had both my kids prematurely because of medical related issues... I even signed the consent forms in case I had to have an emergency c-section done but I fought to have both my boys naturally and let my body do what it was meant to. My body went into labor with both my boys -- I guess they decided they wanted to enjoy the world a little sooner than expected. Oh well, they are just fine now. As for people elected to get c-section.. I don't think it is the right method since I believe that a baby will come when it is ready but then again I just go on about my business and don't worry about the choices that other people make. I think people are going to do what they like no matter what so my opinion -- your body - your choice. As for doctors forcing that or not allowing a VBAC... I think that is horrible and they aren't going thru it so their opinion shouldn't be the ultimate decision in the matter!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2010