What can I substitute for asian chile sauce/paste?

Trying to make lettuce wraps, but there was not any asian chile sauce or paste as my grocery store.

I need to use this fresh produce quickly as I buy organic and it tends to go back after only a few days.

Can I just use cayenne pepper or something in place of it? It's an addition to the meat, not used as a dipping sauce. Or can I just skip it altogether?

Razelda

Asked by Razelda at 8:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• bad* I meant.
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• you can skip it or add some hot sauce and some sugar- some Asian Chili sauces are sweet too.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would throw garlic, red pepper flakes and a pinch of sugar in a food processor or blender.

Best, would be to go to an asian market, and buy the right ingredient.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• @ R- Yes, but I do live in Hawaii, so if they don't have it readily available at local stores, I am not sure I could find it in a market where no one speaks english... I mean Hawaii has a very high asian population. You'd think local stores would have it.
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2010