tubes in the ears!?!?!?

so i just found out early this week that my 2yr needs tube in his ears.... due to chronic ear infections ........ then they said he will need to use ear plugs for a year till the tubes fall out..... im so scared and just so confessed.... if u can help with some adivce that would be awsome

p.s im trying to find ear plugs *( though i have no idea what the hell im looking for)* and im not sure what to be looking for :(

please and thank you

IloveMyKids415

Asked by IloveMyKids415 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both of my kids had tubes. It's a surgical procedure that they were asleep for. It took maybe 45 minutes total. Yes, they should not get their ears wet. I work for an audiologist. They can make a set of custom plugs that fit the ear perfectly as they are the shape of the child's ear. I know there are putty type plugs that you can buy at the drugstore as well.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son had them at two. Its really not that big of a deal...and they will help him get better and stay better for a long time....I promise you will be glad you did it after its over.

The only thing I will warn you about is when its over and they are coming out of the anesthesia they act wild and out of control....maybe not all kids but some do....reaction to the meds.

The ear plugs you are looking for are in the heath section at walmart near the eye solution stuff....I like the wax kiind b/c you can mold them into the ear....they make a special kid kind that I liked that were orange....you use them several times each and then get a new pair out.....comes with like 12 sets or so....cant remember exactly...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Well when i was younger i got tubes in my ears now there just mess up worse so it depends on how he/she reacts to them!
    Expectingmom164

Answer by Expectingmom164 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Also, between the two of them they have only had 1 ear infection since 2006 and 2007 when the tubes were put in. And the tubes did fall out on their own.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Easy surgery. About ten minutes long. The worst part of it is as they are waking from anesthesia all groggy and cranky. Most ENT docs will provide ear plugs. If not you can PM me with a mailing address and you can have my son's old ones. Just clean them real good with rubbing alcohol. He should only need them if he goes swimming or he's in the bath. A shower shouldn't allow enough water to enter the ear.Though you can buy ear plugs at the pharmacy dept. of Walmart, Target, and Walgreens.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You only need ear plugs if he is going to go swimming or put his head under water in the bath tub. You don't need them if he is in a shower or you just poor water on his head to rinse his hair. My SS had it done and it was not a big deal at all. When you are looking for ear plugs look in the swimming section or the ear section in the store. We got ours at walmart or target-ask in the pharmacy section and they can help you.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I had ear tubes my ears when I was little. I could only take baths, and there was no swimming in a pool because there was supposed to come no water into my ears. Everything went well. I didnt use ear plugs, just hold my ears really shut and with a washing cloth when my mom washed my hair. But I would guess ear plus are saver if your doctor told you so. I would guess they that same ear plug people use for noise?
    The only site effect the tubes had one me that I was afraid of water for a very long time and learned how to swim very late, cause it just stuck with me "no splashing, be careful with water"" etc
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• my daughter went threw that when she was a baby!! wasnt to bad and helped her alot!! and i got ear plugs from walmart they were orange, and could mold them to fit her ears!!
    chloecolton

Answer by chloecolton at 9:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• if the tubes are surgically implanted to allow liquid to drain, then why would there be a problem if water went in? the tubes would allow the water to come out...wouldn't it? i have my 5th child now, and have only dealt with one ear issue. there was a burst ear drum(perfectly normal) we used ear plugs for the 6 weeks following the burst eardrum. we used the moldable wax ones, we got them from a drugstore. my son hated them, and pulled them out. it was a race to see if we could get the hair washed before he pulled the plug out.

look at this site http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/index.html she has other information about children's ear infections. it is worth looking into.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I personally would get a second opinion. I can't stand the thought of my kid having that done to them.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2010