riding a bike

Our son will be 4 in February. We CAN NOT get him to ride a bike. He has no desire. He has a tricycle and can kind of do it if we push him...we took him to toys r us to look for a big boy bike with training wheels...even found him a spiderman one...NOPE...not interested. We had to basically bribe him to even sit on it. Shouldn't he be able to ride a bike now? Should I just drop it or keep encouraging him?

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 9:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If its important to you drop it. At his age he doesn't like to be pushed. Just like potty training... make sure its available and an option for him to choose.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 9:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• He will eventually. I got my eight year old son 3 bikes that he never would ride. All of a sudden right before he turned 8 he wanted one, just right out of the blue. We explained to him that it would be hard, because there would be none with training wheels. We took him to pick one out, needless to say he fell a few times. After about an hour it was like he he had been riding all along. So I wouldn't worry. He will ride when he gets ready.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• He will ride when he is ready. My 4 year old just learned how to peddle a couple of months ago. I kept trying to teach him and eventually we backed off. One day he started doing it and never looked back. Just like everything else with him.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2010