How do you negotiate with a 2 & 3 year old??

Has this happened to you??
It's pass the kids bedtime and they wanted to keep running around the living room, pulling out toys and playing. Pretty much everything other than calming down so they can go to bed. I took both to the bathroom so one could go potty and for one a pull up change. In doing so I asked "is there a problem? Why are you not calming down and getting ready for bed. Since you don't want to listen I think we should go to T.O. (timeout) and calm down or just get the leather (belt)." My smart azz kids reply "no mommy we should go sit down." "Go sit down?" They said "Yeah. We should go sit in the living room on the floor and watch Nina and Star." Mind you Nina & Star are a tv show on Sprout. So of course with that smart azz reply they were allowed another 15minutes before being sent to bed. They are just too funny and getting way to quick with the smart azz answers. lmao at them 2.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just have to laugh.. Take it easy OP, a lot of people on here are perfect online parents, who knows what really goes on in their home. Remember that when you post something take it as loosely as possible. Human beings are for the most part very judgmental and that is the first thing that comes to the fingers to write it and they do. You can see the moms that take the time to think and put themselves in your shoes as oppose to the ones that are just typing because their lives are sooo perfect.!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• A) if someone even THOUGHT about using a belt on one of my kids they would be needing medical attention.
    B) sounds like you're letting the kids run the house... Might be cute now, but wait another 5 years.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I never negotiated with my 2 year old. I am the parent. If I told him it was time for bed, then it was time for bed. No matter what HE said.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• You don't negotiate with 2 and 3 yr olds. You put them in bed and keep putting them back when they get up. You don't let them watch TV for 15 more minutes - you put them back in bed. Be the parent.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't negotiate with toddlers. I'm the parent and what I say goes. If they keep coming out of their rooms then I pick them up and put them back. Lights out, no tv, silence...because I'm mom and I said so.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• By using a belt to punish your children you're teaching them that it's ok to hit.

You need to watch Supernanny.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 10:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• 1ST LET ME APOLOGIZE FOR THE NICE & CONSIDERATE MOM'S OUT THERE. THIS IS FOR THE STICK IN THE MUD MOMS
    YOU ALL NEED TO GROW THE FxxK UP!! YOU DON'T HAVE TO HIT A CHILD JUST WARN THAT THEY'LL GET THE BELT. MINE GET WARNINGS AFTER TIMEOUTS AND TAKING THINGS AWAY DON'T WORK.
    AGREE TO DISAGREE AND READ THE QUESTION AS IT WAS MEANT. THE KIDS WERE BEING SMART Azz's AND I HAD TO LAUGH BECAUSE IT WAS FUNNY. JUST LIKE WHEN THEY SUGGEST THAT I LET THEM WATCH TV IN THE LIVING ROOM SO THEY CAN HAVE THE BIG TV AND NOT THE SMALLER ONE IN THEIR ROOM. YES THEY HAVE A TV IN THEIR ROOM,,,,ANOTHER PROBLEM FOR SOME OF YOU. NITE.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I do not negotiate either they either do what I say or I take away a privilege.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I don't negotiate with my kids. Bed time is bed time. No exceptions. A smart ass reply would get them there even quicker. You may think that it is cute now, but it won't be in a few years when they think they can still run the house.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I don't negotiate with our daughter, but my husband does and it really gets to me sometimes.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 10:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2010