Deep Sleep & Not Eating

My son was born on Sunday. We were able to come home on Tuesday. He was a perfect baby and had not problems at the hospital. Now, a few days later, his doctor is concerned with his weight loss. So we have to make sure he is eating and getting his wet/dirty dipars. Well, he sleeps a lot. I know that newborns do sleep often so I know I should wake him to breast feed. But its very very very difficult to wake him up to eat. When we finally wake him up, he eats for 2 mins and sleeps again. We've tried everything including undressing to make cooler, skin to skin, diaper changes, burping, talking to him, etc...

I don't believe he is eating like he should or having the right amout of wet & dirty diapers. I'm getting really concerned and discouraged. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

RockyMax26

Asked by RockyMax26 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he will be ok.. let him eat as he wants. my daughter lost a lot of weight too when we came home she did the samething hes doing.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I didn't breastfeed but have you been checked to make sure he's getting enough when he does eat? If you're not totally against it maybe try some formula so you can see exactly how much he's eating or pump & give him a bottle.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 5:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• my son didnt want to eat as well. offer him the breast every 2 hours. undress him and do skin to skin. dont cover yourself or baby with a blanket or he will get too warm. when he starts falling asleep rub his head with your fingertips (be careful with his soft spot) or tickle his feet. that should do the trick.

*CONGRATULATIONS!*
    lilbabie85

Answer by lilbabie85 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My duaghter was the same way. It was sooo hard to wake her up and she ended up on supplimental formula to add the weight back on. I still had trouble waking her. I would change her diaper before so she'd get cold and aggrivated and if htat didn't help, cold water on the feet. If she started to fall back asleep more water on the face if a jiggle didn't help. The formula really helped put the weight on until she got into a better sleeping/eating pattern. She was on it for about 2 weeks before the doc said Ok to just breast feeding.
    Hang in there, once he get older he'll start eating more.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Have a helper tickle his feet during a feeding. That may keep him awake long enough to eat a couple of ounces.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• this same thing happend to my 1st child cuz it was my 1st child i thought o yea he is going to wake me up at night well he woke up once a nite and thats it! so when he had his doc. apt she told me to set my alarm clock every 3 hours and wake him up and feed him and then he will get used to it and it worked.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Spend a lot of time "skin to skin" with him in only a diaper against your bare chest, and encourage him to nurse frequently. In another week or two you will probably not need to wake him to feed. It is important in these first few weeks to nurse frequently, and not supplement unless absolutely needed, to establish a good supply and get baby nursing really well. If you do need to supplement, start pumping and supplement with your own breastmilk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2008