My 21 month old son usually goes right to bed w/no problems. However, the last couple nights he's really fussed, almost to the point of a temper tantrum. Anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if it's seperation anxiety or something..

katieb119

Asked by katieb119 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• could it be molars coming in?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• thanks for the idea! I've definitely seen him w/his fingers and blanky in his mouth a lot lately.
    katieb119

Comment by katieb119 (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• hi, get a nightlight for his room. let him pick a stuffed animal to sleep with. also get him special pajamas. you should be reading to him EVERY night so let himn choose a short storybook (golden book or newer tyope short one). this will lull him to sleep. also you have to be clear and tell him, kids go to sleep first all over the world, adults need to stay up to do work. this will turn him off from wondering what the HEY are they doing. also play low low music in his room. also warm milk actually contains natural enzymes that help peopel sleep, so my mom whos a RN used ot give us some slightly warmed milk in a cup. also you can sing to him any soft song, i did this for six year swith my son. now i have an eight month old daughter. NONE of my kids ever did what you describe, maybe a short phase of my son at the same age but then i was FIRM and he realized there was nothing to do, no playing after 8 pm.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Sounds like teething.
    Anonymous

• First of all, don't introduce a nightlight into his room. That is a bad idea, because they'll most likely become dependent on the nightlight and "require" one throughout the years. Not good to introduce things they can become dependent on such as that.

Secondly, it isn't seperation anxiety. If he had no trouble all the years before going to bed then it isn't seperation anxiety now.

Sounds to me like he is either teething, gassy, or just over tired and fighting sleep.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010