Question For Those Who've Had C-Sections....

At the time of your C-Section what risks were you told were involved with the surgery itself, and what risks were you told there were to having future children? What was the reason for your C-Section? Have there been other risks involved with C-Section that you have become aware of since having it? In a future pregnancy do you plan to have a repeat C-Section or a VBAC?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Risks: I would have to be put to sleep, and that was pretty much it. I didn't know then what I know now. :/
    I have to have them for more kids. I have a heart shaped pelvis or CPD (I think?) which isn't known till birth. I pushed for 5 1/2 hours-even tried the vacuum thing. I do know now that only 3% of C-sections are needed, and it's VERY dangerous surgery.

I do know it scared the crap outta me, and I cried when they said it. I didn't get to see my baby for like 3 hours after I had her.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My first c-section was because my daughters head was to big for me. My second c-section was something I wanted - then as luck would have it my wee one turn head up so that was that.

But honestly there aren't anymore risks than having your baby naturally, the only difference is there is a far better chance of a live birth with a c-section.
    If I was to have another child I would opt for the c-section.
    After you're treated like gold! Everyone thinks "poor thing had a c-section" when I healed double time faster than all my friends who had natural birth. I had far less pain after wards.
    A c-section is far LESS painful than contractions at 10 centimeters.

Usually those who have c-sections and whine, are those who never spent HOURS at 10 centimeters!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I had my first c-sec because my son was face up and not budging even after 4 hours of pushing. I was given a brief list of risk that included, blood clots, uterine rupture and hemorrhage. I saw may baby with in a few min of being sewn up. My doctor did my incisions in such a way to allow me the option of a VBAC. I chose not to because baby number 2 was in the same position and I do not wish labor pushing and ac-section to my worst enemy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My first C-section was due to my son being breech. The kid tried to walk out! There is always a risk with any surgery no ,matter how minor but for the most part they are safe. I was told that because my son was a C section that did not mean I would have another but I did. My daughter was a C as well but that was because I was high risk due to diabetes. I know a few women who also had C sections and no one ever had a problem. The only problem that I had was a little soreness afterward when coughing or laughing to hard.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I had a c-section because the doctor measured my daughters head on the sonogram, the pushed on my belly and felt the size of her head. He then felt my pelvic arch and said there was just NO WAY it was happening. It'd be hours of stress and pain for us both and I'd end up having to have a c-section anyway. I could try for a vaginal birth next time if I wanted to, but I'd probably have the same problem. The pain from the incision wasn't bad at all; it was my stomach muscles that ached. The worst part of it was that I couldn't carry my daughter upstairs for over a week after she was born, and it hurt like hell to sneeze!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My first c section was because my daughter was breech. I don't remember anyone mentioning any risks. It all went remarkably well. I chose to have another c-section for my son. No one mentioned any risks.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I had 3 vaginal births then got pregnant with twins. I had to have a c section due to 2 breech babies. It hurt for soooooo long afterward. It was terrible! I've heard people say c sections aren't painful but mine was. I prefer vaginal birth because once its over, its over. I have no plans for more kids! Got my tubes tied. Oh and I don't remember being told risks.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It's sad that none of the women who have answered so far were even informed of the REAL risks of a C-section. To say "risks just like any other surgery" is way over simplifying it. Do you even know that there are real and dangerous risks of a C-section TO THE BABY???

:(
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Honestly, I don't remember what risks were listed, since it was emergency C-section. My son's head was "stuck", nothing progressed and he was in distress.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• The risks to mom and baby of c section

http://www.childbirth.org/section/risks.html
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 10:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010