no more naps? Really? Already?

I cant seem to get my 2 1/2 year old daughter to take a nap anymore:( she just jumps in her crib and plays. shes not upset but will not fall asleep and I leave her there for about an hour. when do kids quit taking a nap?

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let her have quiet time instead. It sounds like she is perfectly content with hanging out in her crib anyway. Give her some books and quiet toys, dim the lights and put on soothing music. See if you can get her to rest for at least 30 minutes...try to work your way to an hour.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I tell DD you are going to play in your room for a while now. I turn on her CD and set a timer. She knows when the timer dings it's snack time and she can come out. At first I would have to put her back in a few time but now she seems to have the idea.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My daughter stopped around that age. If she takes to long of a nap, she doesn't go to bed. haha If she randomly falls asleep, then I let her sleep for no more than a hour.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My DS will be 3 in Jan and is also starting this..grrr..there r days he will nap but bedtime is a major battle and he does not end up falling asleep til 9"30...if he doesnt nap he is in bed at 6 and asleep by 6:05..i'm so sad..i will try to push it another week or so but if after that it isnt working I think it has oficially ended. My nephews stillnap and they are 6 and 4 but it's only 45 min or so..i think all kids are diff. I also know kids who stopped napping @ 15 months..it could be worse..
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My DD is almost 3 and we started doing a quiet time instead a few months ago because she would nap then NEVER go to bed at night. lol
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• how did u get her to do quiet time?? my DS can't seem to get the concept as much as i try..
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Mine stopped around the year and half mark. Some of them were willing to take them longer than that but then they were up half the night so we opted to not do naps anymore. As someone else said we did to quiet time which was really nice.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My DS is almost 2 1/2, and he just quit taking naps within the last couple months. I still try to encourage quiet time, just in case he'll actually sleep, but he just walks around his room now that he has a toddler bed. Sometimes he accepts a little bit of quiet time, but most of the time he tries to call me back in there again. He has dozed for maybe 15-30 minutes on a couple long car rides recently, but other than that no naps anymore. :-( We've just moved his bedtime about an hour earlier than it used to be to make sure he gets enough sleep overnight. He gets really tired by dinnertime and acts really wild because he's overly tired, so that makes me nervous. It also makes me think that he still needs the naps, it's just that he's always fought sleep and now that he can get up out of bed, he doesn't even try.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Some stop taking a nap as early as a year, whereas some four year olds take a nap. It depends.
    I would just keep doing the nap routine even if she doesn't go to sleep. If she's happy and content in there for an hour then tha'ts great. That's what I do with my son when he refuses a nap. It gives me peace and time to do what I want regardless.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010