If you want to name your baby after someone...

...should you ask their permission first or is it okay to surprise them after you've had the baby and name her?

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 10:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think it could go either way. My second son has the middle name of my dad-i didn't really ask him as told him lol I dont know many ppl that would be offended that somebody thinks you are great enough to name there child after.
    Armywifey8

Answer by Armywifey8 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think most people would be thrilled to have a friend name their baby after him or her. If they are close by or you can emeil them, then ask--

mocha76

Answer by mocha76 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would just do it.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Well it's my sister in law and it's her middle name that I want to use as this baby's middle name. I just wasn't sure if I should ask first, I want to surprise her.
    Laura2U

Comment by Laura2U (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If you think so highly of this lady that you want to name your child after her, then I would hardly imagine that she'd be anything but flattered, and I think it would be a beautiful surprise.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't think you need to ask permission, especially since it's a middle name. If it were the baby's first name, I might run it by her, since she is the baby's aunt.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I used my Mom and Dad's names for my children's middle names. My mom's middle and my dad's first. I never asked their permission. My dad doesn't like his name, so he was a little hesitant to agree, but he only agreed because it was a middle name. It might be okay to give them a head's up, but it's up to you whether to ask or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think you should being it up in case she wants to name any future children with the same name.
    My exhusband named his son (not mine) after his brother. They have the same first name. My BIL is flattered but then again isn't because he can't (well he could but you know) name his future son after himself.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i would just do it i would be trilled to have someone name there baby after me and would hope the person i was wanting to name my baby after would feel the same way
    tgandkgmommy

Answer by tgandkgmommy at 2:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• no, all of my children have 2 middle names oe is in honor of a family member. We told them that we were doing it, but didnt "ask". I mean 1/2 of them were already deceased
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2010