How can I help my 10yr old son deal with anxiety of school issues.

My family is going through a very tough time. My son has always been a straight A student. Recently he is doubting himself when it comes to his school work, he has even started crying in class because he is worried that he is not prepared enough. My husband and I have talked to him and try and ease his worries but it doesn't seem to help. He is still a very good student, he is just full of doubt and worry. It is making him sick.

Travelbbmom

Asked by Travelbbmom at 10:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son went through this when he was in second grade. We got a book called "Don't feed the Monster on Tuesday." It was a great book and it really helped. We also taught him how to calm himself down, first we would ask yourself if your worry is really something valid for example "my son thought if he ate chicken he would die" Then we would say taking relaxing breaths breathing in through your nose and out through you mouth. I know it sounds crazy, but it helped. Lastly we had xerox copies of a brown paper bag. He would write his worries on the paper and then he would crumble the paper up and throw them away.

If nothing seems to be helping I would consider taking him to a therapist of some sort. You don't want this to get so out of control that he can't get it back.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• TAKE HIM TO COUNCELING
    babygurl9876637

Answer by babygurl9876637 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• EGT ON HIS LEVEL GET IN HIS WORLD TALK TO HIM SEE WHATS HIS LIKES AND DISLIKES AT SCHOOL,GO TO THE SCHOOL AND CHECK ON HIM JUST SHOWING THEM THAT WE CARE AND WE ARE THERE FOR THEM HELPS THEM GET OVER THE FEAR OF SCHOOL.
    LACEY122

Answer by LACEY122 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2010