Cake decorating..

I would really like to learn how to decorate cakes, but I don't know where to start. I can't find any classes around my area to teach me, do you think it's possible to teach myself or learn online? If so, and I get good at it, do you think I could make a business out of it or is that far fetched? Any help is appreciated.

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 10:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My mother had a friend teach her the basics and then she taught herself more in depth with Wilton books she picked up from the library. She eventually sold cakes outside the home. They weren't Duff Goldman cakes or anything, but they were pretty nice. She did wedding cakes, kids cakes, etc. Depending on how you learn things, I think you can be self taught. It's all about your style of learning. I remember her sitting at the table piping roses and stars. Practice, practice, practice.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I taught myself! Check mine out! http://wildsugar.blogspot.com/ It was just trial and error at first. I read a lot of cake blogs, spent a lot of time on cakecentral.com, spent a lot of money at craft stores and just started playing with stuff!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think that you can learn a lot yourself. Go to your library check out a few how to books. Then buy the ones that are really good. You can pick up pieces at a time and learn quite a bit without help. Trial and error.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• there are monthly classes at your local hobby lobby and michaels and sometimes at Johanns....they are taught by certified instructors and they teach using the Wilton method!
    3hugsandkisses

Answer by 3hugsandkisses at 12:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2010