Can you recommend a high back 5 pt harness booster seat?

I am looking to switch my 5 year old daughter into a booster seat. I know it will be 5 pt harness. She is about 3'8" tall and only about 34 lbs. Her ears are at the top of her car seat now. Any advice/information would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Mommy2Jolee

Asked by Mommy2Jolee at 10:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• The BEST idea is to go down to your fire station with your child and ask them.
    They are trained and at least in our town they are wonderful about answer all your questions when it comes to car seats and car seat safety.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Graco Nautilus, you can extended harness up to 65lbs and will booster up to 100lbs. It is a great car seat. Make sure whoever you are talking to if you go is an actual car seat technician. Not all fire stations have them. This also turns into a backless booster.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• We have a Graco Nautilus and LOVE it!!! I could repeat all the info Melbornj provided, but no point. And, yes...not all fire stations have a technician. Ours doesn't, but our local state police department does. If you don't know of one, call your local CPS.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I know about the police/fire stations having the technicians. I am a dispatcher and our police officers are trained. I just wanted to get some info from actual moms who had used booster seats and maybe knew some pros/cons.

Thanks ladies for the advice!
    Mommy2Jolee

Comment by Mommy2Jolee (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Nautilus 3 in 1 car seat
    It has an adjustable height.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• graco nautilas... its the best my 4 year old is 41 inches and is only in like the second or 3rd harness slot.. its the best and easy to buckel he can do it himself! i can wait 6 more months till my 2 and a half year old gets his!!!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 11:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have the Graco Nautilus (harnesses to 65 lbs and boosters to 100) for my DD, who is 5, and at last check, in late August, was 41 lbs and 41 inches. She's got plenty of room to grow in it, and it turns into both a high back, and backless booster up to 100 lbs. Many have said that it's not that great in booster mode, that it doesn't fit most kids properly, as a booster, but if when the time comes to booster DD, if we encounter this problem, we'll just get a dedicated booster. I have heard good things about the new Britax Frontier 85, which harnesses to 85 lbs, and then boosters, though I'm unsure of the booster limits. If I recall correctly though, it boosters past 100 lbs. Checking with a tech is a good option, but NOT all fire fighters and cops are certified in car seat safety, and unfortunately, many give incorrect information, so if you DO see a tech, make sure they're a CPST, not just a cop or fire fighter.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010