marine biology?

if you know anything about sealife or marine biology or if you are one. ..i want to be a marine biologist .. how much schooling does it take? do you like it? what do you do? how much on average do they make? just curious

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it depends on what route you plan to take with it. I looked into it when I was in high school, but that was a long time ago. You might figure out what your ultimate plan is, then ask someone who is doing that what they recommend, ya know?
    If you're looking for schools, I know Humboldt State University and CSU Monterey (both in CA) have great programs.
    I hope this helps at least a little! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Generally a Marine Biologist goes to school about as long as a Doctor would. There are a lot of degrees that you have to get and a lot of courses you have to take before you can become one. I would suggest talking with a college counselor at a college that has a high rated Marine Biology program. Also going to your local Aquarium or rehab centers for marine life and talking with some of the staff there about what they know.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Ypu can do a research over the internet, and also request info... Good Luck!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The amount of schooling you need really depends on what your final goal is. If you want to be the top-notch scientific researcher, you will need a PdhD and live on the coast (or relocate) in order to do that. That's a great goal!

If you don't want to commit to that much school, for lousy pay, and mediocre pay when you get a good job, consider lower levels, like technician positions, aquarium work, etc. There are lots of jobs that can play into your love of marine biology without actually committing to it to the top level.

If you post this in The Science Spot, you may get more direct answers, and we have at least one girl there who works in the field. I think there are more :)

Tonya
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think it would be an interesting field. I want to take an oceanography online class in the near future.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm pretty sure you would need a PhD.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010