how do i talk to my neighbor about her son he's 19 months

when she comes down stairs to visit or hang out her son is into everything. my kids are 3 and 7 so i dont put things up or hide things and i never did i made them stay out of it. anyway he trys to break things,he goes to the cubbard and wants food which is fine but then he goes to my carpet and spits it out, and his mom says can you believe that he does it all the time at my house. or i will look for something, and look and look then i'll find it way up high where she hid it from him instead of her haveing to deal with it. i enjoy her company but that baby got to behave here. what so i say or do?

Asked by mackison74 at 5:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't think of her moving something up as her being lazy, think of it as her being proactive. She is really thinking of you in the long run making sure something you have is not broken. I would do the same thing she is doing. THink of it this way. Her son is probably in a house where everything he can reach he can play with, her house is probably very baby proof, then they come visit where you have older kids and not baby proof, and he thinks that those breakables are toys. He is a baby and knows no difference.
    Now when it comes to him spitting out the food, that should be stopped. maybe explain to her that you don't mind him having a snack, but he needs to eat it on the kitchen floor or at the table instead of walking around with it.

Answer by scrapbug at 6:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I understand your frustration. My house is VERY baby proof ( my duaghter is 16 mos.) but I have a friend whose child manages to destroy it every time she comes over. My best solution so far is to make play dates somewhere other than my home.

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would say, eat at the table only... and yes, maybe go up to her place to visit? Then, it won't be a stressful time.

Answer by Keriokeeee at 6:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2008