Suggestions please..

Ok I'm having a hard time getting my son to sleep on his own... He wants to be rocked in the rocking chair when he falls asleep for his nap time.. and when he goes to sleep for the night.. he won't fall asleep any other way..... I want to stop rocking him to sleep.. he's getting too long for my lap... I was wondering if any of you have any advice you can give me to get him to fall asleep by just laying in his bed??

Pixie71809

Asked by Pixie71809 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For nap time my DH used to lay on my chest and then be put to bed after falling to sleep. So I started putting her down just before she fell asleep on me. When I put her down she'd get up and I'd stay there and rub her back until she went to sleep. After doing this a while I was able to just put her to bed for nap time without a fuss. GL

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Thanks so much! =)
    Pixie71809

Comment by Pixie71809 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Lay him in his bed and sit with him until he falls asleep, rub his back, sing to him. That usually relaxes them long enough for them to fall asleep.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I'm having the same problem, so I have no advice... just :::hugs:::
    Mommy2Jolee

Answer by Mommy2Jolee at 10:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• thanks so much for ur advice! =)
    Pixie71809

Comment by Pixie71809 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Oh thanks ! =)
    Pixie71809

• I had to the the same thing as Danni. I'm still working on getting out of the room, but now we snuggle while I read his story, then he goes to his "big boy bed," which makes him feel like a big boy, and I tuck him in, turn off the light, and play with my iPhone while he drifts off. Next step is getting me out after saying good night.
    I talked to my cousin about this one recently and she suggested we just make it a matter-of-fact thing, where you talk about it over the course of the day before you do it, and then that night, say, "Okay, big boy, you're going to go to sleep, and mommy will be in the living room." If he cries, go in and get him calmed down and back to laying, but don't stay. We haven't had enough normal nights lately (crazy schedule) to where we can introduce something new like that.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Thank you for your advice! it means alot! =)
    Pixie71809

Comment by Pixie71809 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I did the let them fall asleep on me and then move them into their own beds until my kids were about 3 then I started just getting them into bed and telling them that I just had to go to the bathroom or finish my dishes and that they should try to go asleep but that i would be back soon to check on them.. took a few nights of them getting up several times to come check up on me, but within a week they both decided that they could do it themselves and its been good ever since
    good luck
    tysen722

Answer by tysen722 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Thanks for your advice! =)
    Pixie71809

Comment by Pixie71809 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2010