Let's see some food budgeting tips!

I have about $40 till next week to spend on groceries. Of course I dont want to spend the ful $40. I got some meals planned which will make big enough batches to freeze for later or which require some foods I could carry onto a different meal if I have enough left. Mind sharing your budget tips for food?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Budget tip #1. $0.88 pack of hot dogs along with a $0.99 back of hot dog buns.
    #2. Ravelloi (spell check) cans for $0.75 a piece.
    #3. Ramen noodles less than $0.25 a piece
    #4. Chilli and Cheese Macaroni.
    #5. Banquet TV dinners less than $1.00 a piece.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Soups and crock pot stuff. You can make leftovers stretch if you add them to a soup.
    Buy a whole chicken, utilize the stock, use every piece of it.
    You can get frozen veggies for pretty cheap.
    Do you have a Cash and Carry or other restaurant supply store in your area? It's AMAZING how cheap you can get stuff there (WAY better than Costco or WalMart or anywhere else like that).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• PS- cooking from scratch can be cheaper and MUCH healthier than sodium-laden processed foods.
    musicpisces

• thanks musicpisces! yes i cook the majority of my foods from scratch. i have a crock pot but it's only a 2 qt so I cant make that huge of a meal in it although it does go a long way. I do use those leftovers for soup! Made one the other day and it was delicious!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i buy the large hamburger cause its cheaper and then make spegatti with half. whats elft of that i turn into spagetti pei with tons of cheese and pepperoni or sausage and perppers and stuff.. then the other half for tacos or nachos or even hamburer helper... if im really thrifty i can amke that 4 lb thing last 6 meals...... and i buy a lot of meats and items that are discounted cause they are going out of date! i jsut freeze them instantly and they are still good for a few months
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 11:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I buy a 5lb chicken and bake it one night with potatoes and carrots. Save the drippings. Then I strip off all the meat and cut it up. With three people I can make two extra meals from the leftover chicken. I usually make a pot pie and chicken noodle soup. Pot pie is easy and cheap! Make your own crust, take a can of cream of chicken soup,a couple of tbs of sour cream. bag of mixed veggies. Easy peasy.
    Chicken soup, take the chicken stock, add water and some chicken bouillon, celery, onion. Add chicken and the noodles boil until the noodles are mostly done, add frozen green beans and corn and some dried parsley. Cook 10 more minutes.
    I also make my own bread, super easy and fast. I have a recipe if you would like it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I also buy 5lbs of hamburger and make several meals. I fry all of it with onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Then I freeze it in 4 parts and when I want to make something with hamburger it is all ready all I have to do is add a bit of water and season.
    I would take half of the meat as soon as I was done making it and add green chilis, and cumin. Then I would take half and add two cans of black beans and cook until the beans are mushy. Add more garlic, cumin and chili to taste. Spread that mix on half of a tortilla add cheese fold over and bake 350 for 5 minutes, flip and cook 5 more minutes. They are the BEST black bean quesadillas.
    With the other half of the chili mix, cook a bag of rice, add the meat and a can of beans, I like black, but any work well. add another small can of diced chilis and cook until it all melds together, cumin and garlic to taste. It is a great spanish rice.
    Both of those meals are very filling and tasty!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• http://jmarwillb.mycookingblog.com
    this is a very dear friend of mine that is a fantastic cook!!!
    It is less expensive to cook from scratch and healthier too!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• 5lb chicken-$5
    potatoes-----$2
    carrots--------$2
    -------
    leftover chicken $0
    2 stick butter $2
    cream of chicken soup $1

bag of mixed veg $1
    sour cream $1
    --------
    leftover chicken $0
    chicken stock $0
    celery $2
    onion $2
    noodles $3
    frozen corn and green beans $2

----------
    That is $23 if you have to buy everything, less if you have some of that stuff already. You will surely have leftovers too.

5lbs hamburger $10... less if on sale
    garlic $1
    chilis large can $2
    beans 3 cans $3 or dried beans $1
    cheese $3
    tortillas $2
    bag of rice $1
    ---

At most that is $22 and the quesadilla are super filling. Our family of 5 only eats 6 large tortillas worth. So you can have them for lunch too.
    The rest of the ground beef is great for things like homemade spaghetti... pm me for a recipe if you would like. I als
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That should say I also have a great recipe for my favorite soup...hamburger/veggie... YUM!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2010