How do I stop my 8 month old puppy from jumping up?

She has a huge problem with jumping on people and the kids when they enter the house! How do I make it stop? I have tried sticking her in the cage after every time she does it!!

tisha1030

Asked by tisha1030 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Pets

• I've heard a couple ways to stop it....

Ignore her and repeat the word "down." Once she stays "down," praise her good behavior by giving her a treat.

Knee her in the chest (I've never liked this one, but has been suggested by trainers, so....)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• We do both and neither work! been working with her on it for about a month now!
    tisha1030

Comment by tisha1030 (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Don't wait until after she does it. Implement a "down, stay" routine for when people come to the door. Use a leash, treat her when she sits or lays down and stays until invited. Reprimand her if she even lifts a paw to jump with a gentle yank on the leash and a firm "DOWN."

Whatever you do, do NOT overuse the word NO. Just like kids, they can become immune to the word! And I've noticed that my dogs respond better to me when I talk to them like another adult person when I am reprimanding them as opposed to yelling. For instance, Chloe had a problem dashing out the door every time it opened. Of course, I taught her the down-stay, and if she darted out anyway, I gave a firm "C'mere." Once she was back, I put her BACK in the down-stay, and would say something such as, "You do NOT go out that door until you are TOLD to do so...."etc. The little lectures let her know I was upset with her, and helped her understand trouble.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• break her legs lol
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Thanks! I will try the leash thing! She used to have the darting out the door problem! We have gotten pass that though thank goodness! she would get out and run out into the streets and not come to me! now we can leave the door open and she stands back about 2 feet and watches what we are doing!
    tisha1030

Comment by tisha1030 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• iagree with all abtkeeley
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Put a harness on her instead of a collar. When she jumps, pull her down by the harness and say NO. Collars choke too much. When she sits nicely and doesn't jump, reward her with a treat. She will learn. But when she gets all excited she is still going to jump once in a while.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Turn around. When she jumps just turn your back to her. Instruct others to do that do. Eventually she will get it.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Never put her in her crate as punishment. The crate is supposed to be her safe place to go...she won't want to go in it if she thinks she is going to be in trouble.

When she jumps up you can turn around and ignore her. You can try also to tell her to sit and when she does give her a treat. Keep either or both up and she will eventually stop jumping.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• the only time we use the crate is for time outs! otherwise she is free! It is not myself or other adults I have the problem with it is her jumping on the children!
    tisha1030

Comment by tisha1030 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2010