Head injury at school. adult content

A kid slung a big wooden block at my sons head today at school. My son has a huge knot on his head and a cut on his head from the block. My son was given a note and sent to the nurse by himself! No one walked with him to make sure he got there ok. He got hit really hard in the head. What if he would've passed out or something on the way there? or worse.. I picked my son up and he was complaining of a headache and he was sick to his stomach and dizzy. His pediatrician checked him out and he's got a minor concussion.. I am livid my little boy had to walk to the nurse by himself with a concussion. He's 6 years old and in kindergarten. I went to the school too and talked to the principal about it, but the teacher was already gone. I told the principal I would be back in the morning.. Would you be angry too? Oh and the little boy didn't get in trouble for slinging the block at my sons head.

PoisonousBlonde

Asked by PoisonousBlonde at 11:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• EVEN IF THEY COUDLNT LEAVE THE ROOM IM PRETTY SHURE THEIR IS A PHONE IN THE ROOM SHE COULD OF CALLED THE OFFICE AND HAD SOMEONE WALK WITH HIM!!!!......NO EXCUES IM SORRY....AND TWO PEOPLE IN THE ROOM?.....WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY DOING???
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Did the other boy hit your son on purpose? Did this happen in the classroom or at recess? Was the teacher the only adult there? I have been in different schools where things like this have happened and if you are the only teacher on playground duty you can't leave 100 other kids to take one in. Also, the teacher may not have realized how badly your son was hurt, but in any case I would always send a child with a buddy for something like that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Well, with that I would say yes, an adult should have taken your child to the nurse and yes, the other boy should be in trouble. I would request a meeting with the teacher and the principal together. Hope your son is feeling better.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I am sorry about your son. But I myself think that kids hit their heads a lot. They fall on the playground, and they get bumped all the time. If the other kid hit him on accident, than that is just an accident. As for walking to the nurses station by himself, when it first happened he probably was still stunned and did not feel the real pain. I have no problem with him walking to the nurse. If he was dizzy, he's old enough to tell the teacher that.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would be tempted to harm the other boy lol. I get super protective of my kids and I dont' care if you ARE a child, you hurt my kid and I will come after you.

I can't believe they didn't get the other boy in trouble! I can understand sending him to the nurse... it probably didn't look too bad to the teacher, and he could walk and talk, so if I were in her shoes and had a whole slew of other kids to watch I probably would have sent him by himself too. But it's unacceptable that the other boy got off scott free. I'd definately make sure to be there in the morning to take it up again.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• hell yeah id be livid they should of called someone from the office or a yard durty to walk you SIX YEAR OLD to the office......just keep a close eye on him and take him back to the dr in a few days.....did they do a brain scan to make shure hes not bleeding??....i would be so pissed off.....and why didnt the other boy get in trouble??????? and where did he find a big woddend block? sounds like they need to do some cleaning up around their......who was watching them outside???
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• It happened in the classroom and no she wasn't the only teacher there. There was an aide there, too. I can understand if she was the only one there but she wasn't, the teachers aide was there also. Nope, the boy didn't get in trouble. My son said it was intentional.
    PoisonousBlonde

Comment by PoisonousBlonde (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• why did he have to walk to the nurses office by himself? thats nuts!

as for the rest you'll have to wait to find out the story--- kids fling things all the time if it was intentional thats different-- but if its kids being kidsthats just life
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I would definitely be upset too!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Yes, there is a phone in the classroom. Also, there is several high school seniors who go help out in the office in the afternoons, this happened in the afternoon. There was plenty of people that could have been contacted to walk my son to the nurse. Also, the other classrooms have aides. So there were plenty of adults around. There is no excuse for my 6 year old to walk by himself all the way to the nurse. He got a concussion during the summer from hitting his head on a kiddie waterslide. He was talking and walking fine, but he became dizzy, confused, sick to his stomach and his eyes wouldn't dialate. Just because he talked fine doesn't mean he was, this isn't directed at a pp, I'm just saying.. I'm not so worried about the other kid not getting in trouble. I'm just angry a little child had to walk to the nurse by himself after getting hit in the head really hard. . My son said the teacher and aide wasn't paying attention.
    PoisonousBlonde

Comment by PoisonousBlonde (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Oct. 29, 2010