what's the ONE thing you wish someone would have told you about after delivery?

Just wondering. My due date is getting closer and closer, and I'm curious as to what you guys went through =]

And with this question, I mean medical-wise, not "That I would be so in love with my baby!" I mean, do you hate that nobody told you that you would bleed, or some other random bodily function? This is just for fun =D

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• that you would be swollen like a balloon and hate it when people walk in trying to take your picture.lol. That there is a possibility of a c-section if you have high hopes of vaginally delivery and that if you tell the hospital you are planning on breastfeeding, they will drive you crazy with it. Even if you have a hard time with it. Not only the hospital but your family as well. That you will be an emotional wreck...but in the end...it is all worth it..:o)
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I wish someone would have told me that making your first poop after giving birth is worse than giving birth!
    Anonymous

• This is probably TMI but I want you to be prepared. It happened to my sister, my best friend and myself so in my book it is pretty common... It hurts so incredibly bad to poop it's not even funny! Don't hold it though cause it will hurt worse! Our doctors gave us stool softeners so hopefully yours will too.
    Anonymous

• that the baby has a tarry poop it is so sticky and looks exactly like tar....its kinda scary if you dont know to expect it.
    babykins362003

Answer by babykins362003 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• that it was going to hurt to use the bathroom for the first time after. Oooh and i wish they would have told me that breastfeeding hurts the first week or so. Everybody tells you how great breastfeeding is but always leaves out how painful it is at first and how difficult it is at first. But in the end its all worth it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• That after a C Section I'd have EXTREME gas. It was internal, not the farty kind but it was sooo loud and uncomfortable! All that air getting trapped in there after being opended up made me sound like a tiger in garbage can.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I wish I would have known that they come in every 2 hours day and night to help you breast feed and to take vitals on you and the baby. Every 2 hours. Wake you up from a dead sleep. So the second time I told friends/family "no visitors" because I was exhausted as it was just being in the hospital! They could see the baby later!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• ITA with the breastfeeding comment, mine hurt for about a month. Yeah it's great, but you have a lot to learn and so does your baby! Cracked bleeding nipples, engorgement, trying to latch tiny baby on when your milk comes in....have a pump handy and save that milk for later!!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• That you would be swollen "down there" and possibly need an ice pack for a week in your panties. to keep the mesh panties they give you and wash them in the sink and let them dry, they were the only thing i could fit into for that week.
    That labor would make me throw up but that was okay.
    Your body somehow knows what to do on its own. I was so scared I wouldnt know when to push... but your body just kind of takes over and you cant help it.
    to buy the extra spray for when i came home.. you will know what spray .. the stuff you spray "down there"

lilamberbear

Answer by lilamberbear at 5:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• your stomach will feel like Jello! after i gave birth i looked down where the baby belly used to be and it was like one of those jello cakes - even touching my belly felt sooo wierd - it went away after a little bit but OMG it was totally strange!

And - after we left the hospital - the first night alone i was so scared that i was going to fall asleep and she would die !! I was crying histerically - but after that night i was completely back to normal - I dont think i have ever been more scared in my life !
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2008