How can I get my son to stop gagging himself?

My 14-month-old son keeps sticking his hands in his mouth and gagging himself. It feels like we've tried everything: taking his hands out of his mouth, telling him no, lightly smacking his hands when he does it. It's like he's obsessed with sticking his hands in his mouth. He is working on getting some molars right now, so I know it could be related to that. Has anybody gone through this? Any ideas on how to get him to stop?

jilby

Asked by jilby at 11:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• idk what to tell u, my 3 yr old still does it sometimes. and the dr told me he doesnt kno why some kids do it. a lot of help that was
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 11:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Hmmm, you are sooo not alone in this. My son is now 15 months and he does this also. I'm sure its just the teeth they are working on getting. I dont know what to do about this either. Once though, he actually made himself vomit by sticking his hands in his mouth.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 11:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son did this for a while too, and it drove me crazy. Of course, I tried to discourage him and pulled his hand out of his mouth, but no luck until he finally just got over it on his own. He even threw up a couple times, but most of the time he just gagged a little. Sorry I don't have any tips, but at least you know you're not the only one. Hope it's just a phase he gets through quickly!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son used to do that when he was really little, like under a year old. I got to where I would simply ignore him until he stopped, & then I would pay attention, as he was doing it as a way to get me to play with him or pay attention to him. The only exception to this was if I thought there was a chance he was really choking on something, or if it sounded like he was actually throwing up from it. If it is related to teething, try things like Orajel, or the finger tip toothbrush. Both of those things helped a LOT when my son was teething.
    xv35ballx

Answer by xv35ballx at 11:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Usually ignoring it will make it go way.
    BUT when I was a teenager I baby sat for a year old little boy who did it for months!
    I didn't know this and when he started to gag with his hand half way down his throat, I grabbed him and forced his jaw open (remember I was about 14 years old at the time) thinking he was choking on something and I found a HAIR.
    When his mom got home I showed her and she could get to it, so the next day she brought him to the DR and a hair had actually grown there!!!
    Who the HELL would of thought of that?
    It was only because I was so young and really had NO IDEA what I was doing that it was found. His DR had looked in his mouth several times and never saw it .... well because it was a hair!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010