Getting tubes tied...

I am considering birth control and I dont ever want to have another kid. I have 2, and I am done. I was considering the mirena, but I have heard a lot of bad things about it, and the other birth control is 99.9 effective. I am seriously thinking about getting my tubes tied. I know it involves having surgury. I had a c-section in september. So has anyone ever had this done. Is it a wise choice, has anyone ever had any problems? Is it too soon for me to get them tied? Any advice?

Becca1189

Asked by Becca1189 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Health

• Google PTLS. Many women who have gotten a traditional tubal ligation get this. It is horrible. I got Essure done instead. I was down only one day. Plus it cannot self reverse without my knowledge like a tubal ligation or vasectomy can.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• They usually do a tubal ligation right after you give birth.

I had my tubes tied 2 days after I had my son, we were still in hospital. I can't say I've had any trouble after the fact as I've not been testing to see if it "took" or not.......but my neices friend whom was 26 on baby #3 ended up preggo after her tubal and 8 months after giving birth she got preggo with her tubal and had to be closely watched. All was OK with her and the baby........her hubby had a vasectomy after that one! LOL 4 kids and under the age of 30.....was enough.
    Anonymous

• I had my tubes tied almost 2 months after I had my son. He was born in a Catholic hospital and they didn't perform that surgery there (that was back in 1979) A fairly simple procedure and never regretted it for a minute
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• A tubal is done pretty easily, a little incision in the belly button, they fill your belly with air so they can see what they're doing, grab a tube, fix it, do the other, let the air out, glue you shut, a couple days of no lifting, a couple days of recovery, and you're good. I had mine done the day after I had my baby, but more docs are making you wait 6 weeks before tying them. Just know, a tubal is not 100% effective, and the chance of ectopic pregnancy goes up, but it's a rare chance. I highly recommend it, especially over essure - shoving a metal coil up your coochie and twisting it into your fallopian tube? Nope, not for me. I had my tubes tied almost 4 years ago and I do not regret it one bit. It's actually nice because my periods are getting shorter and farther between.
    Anonymous

• OK I am the other voice. I had it done and I regret it.I regret the permenance as well, I have had physical side effects. If I knew then.....I would not get it done again.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i had my tubal about 10 years ago, the only scars I had were hidden by my belly button. I was a little sore for a couple of days, other than that...not many ill side effects. I also had the Mirena placed about 5 years ago for heavy cycles. It's been great not having a period, and I haven't had any problems with that either.
    uglyrose

Answer by uglyrose at 1:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would suggest you research tubals, find out the pros/cons and talk to your doctor about what the procedure is like and ask about other options as well then once you have all the facts you can decide if that is right for you. I had a tubal in 2006- when my 3rd child was born. My hubs and I decided we were done, and since #3 was a c-section I had the tubal done at the same time. I have not had problems or regretted it, although I do know of a few who have (i friend has PTLS).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I had a D&C to remove a UTI. The doctor asked me if I wanted my tubes tied while he was in there. I have heard it's like a bandaid operation now.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Damn, I meant IUD> I had an IUD removed. And I didn't get my tubes tied. It was my DH who didn't want more children, so I made him have the surgery. Far less risk for men than the one for women.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have had a tubal ligation done. It was not performed at the hospital after I gave birth to my youngest son because I did not have a c-section... so they wanted me to wait 8 weeks to allow my body to rest and such since he was also born prematurely. Anyways, I had that done a couple months ago -- I have no complaints, I miss the no periods while I was pregnant but we can't all get what we want! Also, if you are prone to urinary tract infections then you are not even a candidate for Mirena... and I happen to be one of those people so they said that wasn't even an option for me.. but it didn't hurt my feelings since I know several people that have had bad complications with that even ending up in the hospital over that.. so um yeah I would rather have the surgery but thats just me! =] GL!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2010