What do you think about grade requirements for school athletes?

A local school here has been making the news lately because of a new policy which benched all athletes which had a D or lower in ANY core subject, regardless of their overall GPA. Because of this new rule all but 18 players of the foot ball team were benched.

Tonight, they had a school board meeting and a large number of parents present were pushing to have the rule changed. That in conjunction with the loss of a board member got the rule changed, so as long as they carry a 2.0 GPA or better they are able to play...

My DH thinks they shouldn't have changed the rule, he said if the kids want to play they should work just as hard to keep their grades up. I said everyone has a trouble subject and has trouble from time to time, it's their overall GPA which should matter...

What's your take?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My take is that they should have to keep ALL of their grades up, not just their GPA. Extra-curricular activities takes up a lot of a student's time and if they can't handle doing both that and their school work, then something is going to suffer........and that should NEVER be the school work!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I think they and we need to remember that they are STUDENT athletes, there's a reason that the word student is first. They should have to maintain their grades in the core subjects - if it's just the total GPA what's to stop them from taking "fluff" courses to keep their eligibility? There should also be requirements about attendance as well - if they miss school they shouldn't get to play (unexcused absences only - not sick days or other absences excused by a parent)
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I have always thought kids who play sports should be getting good grades because learning and trying to get good grades is so much more important than sports. If they get D's, they should be benched. If my son had not tried and got a D, I would ground him.If he didn't get his hmework done. he was grounded. I did that once when he didn't get a report done for his 8th grade History teacher and told him he couldn't play in his soccer game. I told his coach he was grounded and his coach agreed. It taught him a good lesson.Now he appreciates that and he does the same when rasing his son who is 14. ALL my three kids went to college...they never neglected their classes. It pays ...it really does.
    You don't give a kid a free pass when it comes to school .learning and grades..
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't think asking to maintain a 'C' average in every class is too much. If sports are that important, you put in the effort required to continue playing. Those parents are doing their kids a disservice by putting athletics ahead of academics.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i think all grades should be kept up.. i played basketball in high school and that was the rule for us
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Education comes first. Sports are secondary and not really that important. (*ducks because I live in a HUGE HS football area*) If they want to play then they need to keep their grades up.

You can't bank on getting that sports scholarship or going to the pros. An injury could happen that cuts all those dreams to shreds and then what? You MUST have a good education to fall back on.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Not a big deal to keep a C average. I think it should be left the way it was. Sounds like there were a lot of boys sitting on the bench who should have been studying harder. It's hard enough to keep them grounded, especially when they become known for their athletic ability. They begin to think they are gods and can do no wrong and can get through life on their athletics; but few can. They need to learn to study hard now.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, in our school- they can practice but not play in games- its amazing how quickly the kids pull up that bad grade to be able to play. I understand your point, but I also think any incentive to get kids up to at least a C is a good thing. No one wants to hire a D average kid and not many colleges will take you with a D so its a good thing to use what you can to get kids to not limit their future with bad grades in High School. I would also like to add at our school- any kid with a C on a sports team has study hall before practice so they really work hard to be a good influence!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Work before play...grades before sports.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think your DH is right on the money. No grade no play.
    specialrevolver

Answer by specialrevolver at 2:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010