My 4 year old dog keeps vomiting.. what can I do to prevent a trip to the vet?

Miss_Angela

Asked by Miss_Angela at 11:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Pets

• I guess that would depend on how often and how much? If he becomes dehydrated, you definitely need to take him to the Vet. Did you call the after hours service and ask to have the Vet paged? He or someone else should call you back and let you know what to do without charge.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• That's such a great idea thanks! He's vomited 3 times today... and he's a real picky eater. I adopted him from the pound a couple months ago and I STILL can't find a dog food he will eat. He only will eat dog food when he's ABSOLUTELY starving. I feel bad so I give him plain baked chicken and offer him scraps of food. He don't eat any scraps except for the chicken. I see him drink water and he pees regularly... think i'm ganna try that vet after hours page...
    Miss_Angela

Comment by Miss_Angela (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• if your dog is not caught up on all his shots, and is vommiting up a white foamy looking stuff, not eating and is just lying around, take him in immediatly, it could be parvo.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• benedryl 1 tsp
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 11:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• He is current on all his vaccines, and the vomit isn't white and foamy... it looks like "stuff" he ate.. like this morning he vomited up the chicken i gave him... can't explain the appearance of the other two times after that though... but it makes my stomach churn trying to reminisce its appearance... but it wasn't white and foamy... and i hate typing this word vomit.. that makes my stomach churn too!!
    Miss_Angela

Comment by Miss_Angela (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• what 1sat reply said
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Benedryl is for allergies not puking. If he can't keep something down then giving him something orally is going to defeat the purpose.

I agree with the after hours vet. DO NOT give your dog anything that is meant for human consumption UNLESS your vet says it's okay.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have given our dogs Pepto-bismo caplets for vomiting. But if he is doing it for a long period of time~~I would see the vet. (Pepto is safe for dogs but NOT for cats)
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• When both of our dogs didn't stop vomiting, we took both to the doggie ER, and they had to get IVs, they had some kind of poison in them. Come to find out, our neighbors had a sewage leak into our back yard and our poor puppies got a hold of that. They were ok, but we were glad we took them in. It was scary!
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 11:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2010