Whats the most effective way to potty train my almost 16 month old boy?

I'm a single mom so its just me and him.. and i'm not even too sure if he's ready or not or how to tell...

Miss_Angela

Asked by Miss_Angela at 11:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• JUST TAKE HIM TO THE BATHROOM EVERY SO OFTEN AND LET HIM SIT ON THE TOLIET IT WORKED FOR MY SON WHEN HE WAS THAT AGE
    babygurl9876637

Answer by babygurl9876637 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Dd was quite difficult. Had tremendous success with the 3 day potty training method! Also, for boys, they sell little urinals. :-)

Keep in mind, 16 months MAY be too young. There are developmental milestones that need to be met for potty training to be successful. If you are interested, pm me.
    07Mommy10

Answer by 07Mommy10 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I don't know, I hate potty training I wait until they are 3 years old and let everyone tell me "They should be potty trained by now!" in their snobby snotty voice!
    When I potty train my girls I sat them on the potty in front of the TV with a little table in front of them and we played until they peed without realizing it - then I gave them M&M's and promised them every time they peed on the potty they'd get M&M's Rarely did they ever have an accident!

However, my sister and friends who have boys tell me that boys are like training cats - have another boy take him outside and pee on a tree and yours will do the same.

Honestly, unless you can't afford diapers or you have one of those kids who's 16 months, but is the size of a 5 year old and diapers just don't fit anymore - don't worry about pushing it. Everyone here was trained by the time they were 30 - really that's all that matters! lol
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:08 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• LOL!!!!
    Miss_Angela

Comment by Miss_Angela (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I took him to the potty every hour and waited for him to go... if he went he got to pick out a cool sticker. It seemed to work and then when dad came home he was so excited to show him what he got that day... took about a week of this and then he just started to go there himself
    good luck
    tysen722

Answer by tysen722 at 2:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Google "toilet training readiness" and see if he is really ready. It is a lot less stressful to wait until it will be a faster process (around 2.5 or 3)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I am not sure. My son was 3 years when he potty trained. Had that down in 2 weeks with very little help from us.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010