Can you drink protein shakes while pregnant?

I drink a shake from Max Muscle for breakfast. I am about 6 weeks pregnant. Is it safe?

NikoleCoffey

Asked by NikoleCoffey at 5:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well, it depends on what is in it. does it have stimulants like ephedra and caffeine or is it mostly protein and vitamins?
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• i would suggest to just eat healthy. fruits and veggies.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• i would aviod any protien shakes exspecially if they are ment for weight loss. They can dehydrate you. just try and eat heathier.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thanks!
    NikoleCoffey

Answer by NikoleCoffey at 5:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• well, protein is extremely important during pregnancy, but not if it has stimulants and lots of chemicals or artificial sweeteners added to it. Some protein shakes are good to mix with fruit and yogurt, especially if that's the only way you are going to get protein in the morning. Look at the ingredients and read up about them.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Which shake? If it is just your run of the mill, 15-30 grams of whey protein, it is perfectly healthy, and a great way to supplement your protein in pregnancy. I was so sick my first trimester, all I could eat were steel bites (mini protein bars) and a little bit of muscle milk.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 5:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yes. you can. If you drink protein shakes, chances are you eat relatively healthy too.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I do eat very healthy. I read that it has Taurine in it? Bad? No caffeine, or ephedra or any other stuff. All protein and vitamins.
    NikoleCoffey

Answer by NikoleCoffey at 11:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Taurine is generally not good in general.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Taurine is fine. It is an organic acid. It can be very useful for treating diabetes, hep, and heart disease.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2008