If you are a boss/mgr... any position of authority... PLEASE READ!! I'm DESPERATE!!!

if one of your employees was being asked out by another one of your employees and not taking no for an answer, and beginning to get VERY disrespectful about it... would you want to know about it? Let's throw a kink into the equasion.... if this disrespectful person had EVERYBODY believing that he was a good Christian man, including you, would you believe your employee when she told you what was going on? Really need a boss' point of view on this. : (

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• It may just depend on how you stage it. Such as look, this has been going on and I jsut want it to stop, and leave it there. If you don't walk in guns blazing demanding the guy be fired and sued etc etc, you leave the boss the opportunity to solve the problem his own way. just make sure the complaint is formally documented. is there a separate HR department? If so, I would request a meeting with the boss and someone from HR.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I would think you would be obligated to investigate it. sexual harassment is serious business and if you don't take steps to investigate, prevent or repair the situation, you could find yourself in legal deep doodoo.
    just bc someone puts on the face of a good person doesn't always mean they are, or that they are incapable of making bad decisions or choices.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I"m the one being harrassed, i'm afraid to tell my boss.
    Anonymous

• Tell your boss, or find another job. No one should be put under that kind of stress at work.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• tell, and keep everything documented. if fact I would tell more than one person at the time so there is less likihood of it being swept under the rug.
    if you have a record button on your cell phone or an mp3 player, try to capture the conversation. depending on your state it may not be admissible in court, but it should be enough to convince a boss this is happening.
    has the person ever done this in writing/email, or only verbally?
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• *edit when I said to capture the convo, I was referring to the harassment, not the reporting of it. I saw that was unclear when I reread my post.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• it's all been verbally... i'm normally in the office by myself. this guy is a sales rep for the company who's only "check in" requirement is to CALL once a day. This guy will normally stop into the office 2-3x a week... not really sure why. He brings his laptop and will sit in my office playing games on the laptop. I can't even get up to go tinkle without him making a comment about my butt. So I'll hold it til my eyeballs float. I quit wearing v-necks to work due to his comments about my breasts. Then they continued, so now i'm wearing baggy clothes. : ( When he calls in, he still presses the date issue. I finally told him that desperation on an old man (he's 60ish, and i'm 31) today he told me "i'm breaking you; aren't i?"

Anonymous

• i understood, no problem. i couldn't fit the last part of my reply on there.... the harrassment is much worse when he comes into the office... cuz not only is he bugging me about going out with him, but it's also the physical comments. to the point where i can't dress in the clothes i like. it's getting rediculous!
    Anonymous

• I would record the conversations. Then take it to your boss. Although I think you should report it even if you can't get "proof".
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Why are you afraid and why do you think that you shouldn't be trusted?

If it bothers you, you should report it. I agree with the above poster that you should tell other people and get as much info to back yourself up as possible. Sometimes harassment keeps going on because the harasser doesn't understand no and needs to hear it from someone else. Be firm with your no, in all ways. And most likely if this man has done this to you, he's done it to other women, christian or not. Being a so called good christian doesn't make it so.

And you shouldn't allow it, no matter what your past is. It's difficult, but you shouldn't be afraid at work.
    lajebo

Answer by lajebo at 5:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2008