Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I keep having trouble with these public schools, need advice?

My 9 yr old son had ADHD & Autism (PDD), the new public school I fought the father so my son could attend b/c the other 2 schools the dad chose were not right either. Ever since I found out the father went to talk to the teacher's now they & the principal are horrible with my son & me. I haven't been able to get the teacher's to inform me of what type of 504 program set-up they have made for my son. I have requested another appointment to find out. If unsuccessful, I will go to the schoolboard. The board puts everything off on the school & vice versa. The teacher's keep complaining about my child, marking him as a bad child, doing the same thing as the other schools, even tho they have phsyc tests showing he has medical issues. I am at a loss, cause they make me out to be this terrible mom that wont accept my son is bad. They love the dad cause he agrees w/ everyone, just say good about him. What can I do to stop this? them?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Answers (7)
  • Call your laywer!

    Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • my mother had to have a 504 plan for my brother with several of his teachers; not all of them cause some were very understanding and worked with him on how to do the things he needed help on and things like that. The ones that she did have them with i remember her having to fight for. You as a parent (if im not horribly mistaken) call for a meeting with the teacher(s) and a councilor and you can give them the plan you would like for your child to have. At least here you can anyway, my mom made sure that my brother got to spend extra time after school if for some reason he couldnt finish all his work in class when it was suppose to be done, he had extra time for test, he did not get penalized the first time he spoke up, he had three "reminders" that he wasnt suppose to talk out of turn and that you weren't suppose to leave your desk without asking. Just basic things like that he would get extra time to realize it was wrong

    Answer by bc19 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • they were not allowed to punish him during recess cause he needed that time to run around and get some of his energy out. If the teacher does not cooperate then go to the school board, if the school board does not listen go higher to your mayor or an elected official. They want to make their pple happy so they will do all they can to help you. If you have the money for it i would get a lawyer, and call the school board and give them a heads up. You can get your child the help he needs but it does not come easy in most school systems, you have to fight for it even when your tired and just want to give up. For your child you have to keep with it and you will see results

    Answer by bc19 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2010


    Answer by LACEY122 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • you need to have a meeting with the teachers/school and the father to find out what he has been saying.....because i had the same issue with my ex about my son who is 9 and has aspergers/adhd/anxiety disorder....but dad basicly cept saying i was just a bad parent and thats why our son was the way he was......because i have complete legal custody of my son i blocked dad from having contact with the new school and its gotten way better this year where the school only gets to deal with me and i stand my ground with them no matter what......maybe you need to try this in your case because it sounds like the father is bad mouthing you to the school.....good luck

    Answer by cara124 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • you need to request an IEP meeting pronto.....get some help from your local autism advocacy group, I run a local autism support group here in Panama City florida...educate yourself(wrightslaw is a good website to read) go in with your ideas in writing , dont take no for an answer!!!

    Answer by michaux at 2:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • Call an ARD meeting. Send it in a written letter to the school counselor and the principal. If your child has needs and they are not being met they are snowballing you and as long as you allow them to do it your child suffers.

    If you dont have the balls or know how then you need to find an advocate for your child.

    Answer by Sandyr911 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.