What do you say to a friend who shows up to watch your child ...non sober?

Our babysitter is a friend of ours since we can't find ANY daycare near our house that is under a billion dollars so that is the best we can do right now. He shows up late EVERY DAY (but one, I will give him that...one day he was here way early.) One day he never showed up, and today he showed up smelling of booze and talking about how drunk he was still from the night before. WTF? I didn't hear him say that but my boyfriend talked about it on the way to my work and I almost turned the car around to go beat him up. He wasn't "drunk" and I wasn't worried he was going to hurt my child in any way... I was afraid he was going to fall asleep watching her and she would hurt herself! So I told him off and fired him and now we are left with NO ONE to walk our child tomorrow for work AND I'm not sure how to go about being friends with him again!? What would you have done?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 12:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• The same thing!!! you dont want to leave your child with someone that may or may not be watching your child. Its dangerous! You cant want to come home to no child!! I dont know how you would become friends with him. I dont think I would want to be friends with someone that shows up smelling of booze to work! Working with children while hungover is never a good idea. Im sure you can find someone sober to watch you child. Good luck on your hunt of a good daycare provider.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The same thing you did. I would have fired him and wouldn't worry about remaining his friend. I would cut him out of my life.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• told him to get out of my house
    babygurl9876637

Answer by babygurl9876637 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You did the right thing. If he is drinking or using something in the hours prior to being responsible for your child, he has seriuos issues and you couldnot afford to keep him around. You did the right thing. as for staying friends? do you realy want to stay friends with someone who was likely risking yourchild's safety?
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 12:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've had that happen too. Pisses me off! They tell you this as your dropping your kids off or call you just before you leave the house for work. You have no time to find back up and my back up isn't that great either. I tell them to get their crap together they know damn well I don't have time to find someone else. Luckily it's only  happened in the summer a few times so my older one can be their to help out.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• plus after everything I said to him (there were threats of punching and cutting off his balls..and making him eat them..) he thinks he didn't do anything wrong and we should trust him!
    dbodani

Comment by dbodani (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm sorry, Friend or not, There is no excuse for a babysitter to show up intoxicated at any level. His judgment is impaired and from experience being drunk the next day or having a hangover affects your attitude and patience.
    newMAMAbear

Answer by newMAMAbear at 1:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would tell him to get the hell out of my house and grow up.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• if i being the mother don't do it what gives ANYONE the right...im sorry but my kids are way too valuable to put 'em in harms way...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 2:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• yeah i would say leave
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2010