Special Diets for Special Kids or Special Needs Kids Eat Right

I need a book that explains the different diets like GFCF or SCD and so on that can help a child with Special needs. Has anyone read either of these books and if so could you tell me what the difference is and your opinion of the best book. Thanks in advance.

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Both the GFCF Diet & the SCD are very restrictive & can be difficult to implement across the board, especially in the beginning, b/c most children, & especially those on the Spectrum, rebel at significant food changes. However, if you stick with the dietary changes, many families report good results. The 2 books you named are cookbooks, not really explanitory, so you may want to look for more information on the internet first. Here's a couple of good sites to get you started:

http://www.autismweb.com/diet.htm (GFCF Diet)
    http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/autism/autism.htm (SCD or Specific Carbohydrate Diet)

If you would prefer books, then I would suggest checking if your local library can get them in for you. This way you can explore many different books and get a very good idea of whether or not dietary interventions might be a good fit for your family. Good luck.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Could your doctor recommend informational resources for this? Good Luck.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Both diets are extremely expensive to maintain. My son has autism and it has been suggested to put him on one of these diets. The bad thing is those things are all he eats. Too expensive for us.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We have the Autism&ADHD Cookbook for Kids. GREAT BOOK. My dd is Autistic and has been gluten and casein free for almost 3 years- it's been AMAZING for her and while it seems incredibly difficult to begin and maintain while looking into it, it becomes a way of life, a lot easier and IS NOT as expensive as you'd think - once you learn ways to cut corners, find alternatives to the very costly packaged foods. We have VERY low income and manage it just fine. BEFORE the diet, my dd would ONLY eat spaghettios, cheese, yogurt and milk. *All basically gluten and casein foods*. I've noticed that kids who are more likely to benefit from the diet tend to eat ONLY foods that are loaded with gluten and casein. Yes, it's more expensive and yes, it takes more time, but if it helps your child, I don't understand how anyone could NOT TRY. I have TONS of websites bookmarked. If you decide to try it, please PM me :) I love to help.
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 5:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We have had out daughter on the GFCF diet for 6 wks now and we have not made one change in our grocery budget. Actually we spend LESS money now than we were before because we are cooking with more fresh herbs, veggies, and fruits. The diet is NOT any more expensive than it is to feed my daughter food WITH gluten or dairy. People automatically assume you have to buy all special food. We just have to buy almond milk instead of cows milk, gluten free flour instead of regular flour, corn meals instead of bread crumbs and our usual meats, veggies and what not. The only way I can see this diet being pricier is if your kid eats nothing but junk food all day long. Sometimes I think people just don't want to have to put in the effort, or are too pessimistic. What harm is there in TRYING, worst that can happen is your kid doesn't benefit in which case you really didn't lose anything. At least then you can rest knowing you tried.
    caramia27

Answer by caramia27 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• The diet works for SOME BUT NOT ALL~It's not a "cure all" and parents need to keep this in mind,so they do not get frustrated if they see no results. Our daughter has autism,but the diet has not been needed.
    Problem is -A lot of people (mainly those without special need kids) quickly suggest "The Diet" because Jenny McCarthy had made such a fuss claiming to "Cure" her son of Autism-MAJOR PROBLEM-what the general public didn't hear preached as hard was that her son was mis-diagnosed-and wasn't even Autistic,but has Landau-Kleffner Syndrome
    There's no real harm in giving it a try....But as I mentioned-works for some but NOT FOR ALL
    ZsMommy

Answer by ZsMommy at 6:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• @Zsmommy- The rumor about Jenny McCarthy's son being misdiagnosed is exactly that- a rumor. In the TIME magazine article published on her, a statement was made by the author that there were "murmurs by doctors not affiliated with her son's care that he had LKS not Autism" and a follow-up article in HollywoodLife.com (a tabloid) stated that it was a fact based on the "murmurs" in the TIME article. I urge people to look past tabloid sites. Irregardless of Jenny McCarthy's son- this diet has and does work- as you said- for SOME not all. But as Caramia posted above you, what does a parent have to lose in TRYING? Nothing, from where I stand. I have a dd who was completely non-verbal and unresponsive who is now flourishing is Pre-K, with no therapies other than speech 2xs a week for a year and the diets. McCarthy made a HUGE mistake and did us all a disservice when she stated her son was "cured" in an interview. cont.
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 8:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Which she later apologized for- but the damage was done.
    Here is a link to the TIME article and the quote- http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1967796-2,00.html " There are dark murmurings from scientists and doctors asking, Was her son ever really autistic? Evan's symptoms — heavy seizures, followed by marked improvement once the seizures were brought under control — are similar to those of Landau-Kleffner syndrome"
    And HollyWoodLife.com- http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2010/02/26/jenny-mccarthy-says-her-son-evan-never-had-autism/ "A new article in Time magazine — which Jenny was interviewed for — suggests Evan suffers from Landau-Kleffner syndrome,"
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 8:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My son who has Autism is basically a vegetarian..he has a great diet, but not so good in the protein dept. These diets don't work for every kid..some children have such a self restrictive diet they would starve before eating it..good luck
    Rileyscute

Answer by Rileyscute at 9:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2010