Why are people so paranoid?

I was reading through some answers on another question and I'm always shocked at the amount of paranoia people seem to have... You can't do this cause this COULD happen, you shouldn't do that because that COULD happen... I mean really? Why live in so much fear? Is there a chance something COULD happen? Sure, but does that mean you should shelter yourself of your kids from enjoying life simply because something COULD happen? I don't think so! Lighten up and enjoy life for once!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• **LIKE**

Pack as much happiness and joy into your short life as possible. No reason not to.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I could not agree more. On the other hand they COULD have more to complain about... lol
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Please don't anyone think that I think people should just let their 3year olds run though the streets or anything... I understand having some basic common sense, I just think there is a big difference between having common sense and locking yourself away so nothing can happen...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I know one of the question that you are talking about. I could not imagine being so paranoid and living in fear my life would begin to lack enjoyment. I am more of go with the flow don't worry about things kind of Mom. I don't want to loose what is left of my mind. And I do not want to teach my kids that paranoia.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Your "paranoia" that you would not enjoy, is the safety net that allows other people to enjoy their lives. For instance, I like to check the Megan's Law websites before I go trick or treating in an area I'm unfamiliar with. I don't feel like parading my kids in front of known pedophiles. Do I have an anti-pedophilia bunker, where I hunker, unable to function because I'm afraid the sex offenders are coming? NO. However, it makes me feel good that I'm doing all I can to keep my kids safe. I've been called paranoid for that.

And my answer to that is, BITE ME. I feel safe and smart. I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• paranoia paranoia, everybody's coming to get me--one of my favorite song quotes. (Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger)

I don't know. I am guarded, but not overtly paranoid and there are things that I will keep my kids from.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• lovingangels, I don't think that's overly paranoid, but there are definitely some parents who totally shelter their kids and hover over them to protect them from any possible thing that could hurt them or affect them, and then these kids have no life skills to manage reality on their own, and no ability to interact with other people.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

_________________
    someone told me I was "unable to enjoy life" because of my habit of checking the website for trick or treat...yesterday or so, here, on cafemom.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Lovinangels, I think we're talkinga bout more extreme than that. I don't think that's paranoid. I read a post about "Don't put birth announcements in the paper, leave diaper boxes in your trash or put a baby yard sign up because someone will snatch your baby." Seriously, that's paranoid. That is not celebrating the birth of your child and hiding garbage to protect from a one in a million chance. Making sure you're not taking your child to a known child abuser for candy is definitely a normal behavior.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The posts that get me are the paranoid people with the STORIES. "My children were taken away form me even tho I have custody and they are beaten by their father every night and the police won't do anything because everyone believes him" AND PEOPLE BUY INTO IT

PLEASE!!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 2:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2010