4 Year Old Coughing.....

4 year old DD has had an ongoing mild cold for a couple of weeks now. Her pediatrician said to go ahead and give her up to 1 tsp of Claritin or Zyrtec to help her through it. So she got 1 tsp of Claritin Allergy at 9pm.

She is upstairs coughing. She keeps waking herself up and then she'll cry herself back to sleep. Then she'll cough herself awake and cry herself to sleep. She's been doing this for a good hour now.

I have some cough medicine that her pediatrician has said it's okay to give her for nighttime cough, but I hesitate to give since I just gave a full dose of the Claritin 4 hours ago.

Looking for someone who has had the okay by your child's pediatrician to give both allergy and cough medicine......or even someone who was told to NOT combine.....

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 12:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Health

• since it's been 4 hours it should be okay... my dd does thie every year around this time and her ped finally had to call in a scrip for her GL i hope your baby can get some rest
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• How about a little Vicks vapor rub for her chest or a vaporizer for her room. I remember my mother using a mustard plaster on my chest. Don't ask, I have no idea. It was an old wives' tale, but I remember it worked.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• GET HER UP GIVE HER SOME COLD WATER PRAY OVER HER IN THE NAME OF JESUS AND PUT TH EHUMIDFIER ON!!!BE BLESSED
    LACEY122

Answer by LACEY122 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't...here in Canada cough syrup has been banned for kids under 6 yrs old - i would not chance it.....put her in a steamy room (the bathroom) give her a nice bath help clear her up a little & rub vicks on her back & chest also give hr some honey to soother he cough.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Also a teaspoon of honey helps with coughing.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010